7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2014 6:11 PM by RickWhitelaw

Server Update difficultly FM 9 to 13

LucRataj

Title

Server Update difficultly FM 9 to 13

Your post

Hi, 

Currently my company is in the works of revamping its whole in house FM system which was built in 2008'ish and the assigned me to the task. 

We are currently running FM9 pro and server.

In a recently proposal we were quoted $1,100 and 7 hours of work just to convert the FM9 data bases to FM13.

This seemed excessive to me, is it? I've watched YouTube videos where FM basically does it automatically in less than 5 mins. 

I have never worked with Mac's before, but I am far from computer illiterate.  

As a FM novice is updating the server software something I should attempt?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Server Update difficultly FM 9 to 13
          RickWhitelaw

FMP13 will automatically upgrade all files from fmp7 (the old file format) to fmp12 format (the current file format of FMP13). After that it's a matter of buying FMS13 and installing it, then using FMP 13 to upload the files to the server. This doesn't involve much work and it's my sense, without meaning to impugn the integrity of the person who gave you this quote, that you're being misled.

• 2. Re: Server Update difficultly FM 9 to 13
            Markus Schneider

It depends on Your solution...

- There might be some minor problems with buttons (graphics issue, not functional).

- It is also possible that one file is damaged and has to be reworked (a log-file is created during the conversion process with error codes).

- Maybe the developer adapts some of the new methods for some processes (i.e. sql, etc)

- If You are using PlugIns, there is also a potential for reworking...

• 3. Re: Server Update difficultly FM 9 to 13
              LucRataj

Thank you for the replies, we do not use any plug-ins right now, only a few scripts and I know no files are damaged we are still using them every day 

Right now I'm leaning towards giving it a try and if I get stuck calling in the reinforcements

• 4. Re: Server Update difficultly FM 9 to 13
                RickWhitelaw

Luc in his original post describes a fee charged for converting FMP7 files to the latest file version. Nothing mentioned about correcting problems. I stand by my view that the fee mentioned is excessive.

• 5. Re: Server Update difficultly FM 9 to 13
                  LucRataj

Thanks for the input Rick, I hope to convert our system in the next 2-3 weeks. Ill let you know how my venture went!

• 6. Re: Server Update difficultly FM 9 to 13
                    Markus Schneider

Well... I would never discuss costs with not more information. 'Just converting' is definitely not the thing that costs money - but without knowing anything more about the solution, every guess can be wrong.

- Are analyzers involved? A CrossCheck run, correct all the resulting errors, could cost easily 1-4 hrs...

- Server installation, backups, et all, ... included?

- Is there a test-cycle / -installation involved? ISO certified companies have predefined processes for software updates

This part can cost easily more than 1000 bucks

As said - without having more details, it's hard to say 'too much'. There are people out in this world who try to gain more than something costs - but on a first view, I do believe that people are not bad and there is a reason for that price. Just ask them for details of their work

(-:

• 7. Re: Server Update difficultly FM 9 to 13
                      RickWhitelaw

All good points, Markus. I suppose that, for me, the price mentioned would seem high, but then I do have the time and expertise to do the job myself. Perspective is everything and I shouldn't have assumed Luc was in the same position as me.