4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2009 5:18 AM by museumsupport

Set user ID from one client and other clients use the same login

museumsupport

Title

Set user ID from one client and other clients use the same login

Your post

We migrated three databases from FM6 hosted on FM5.5 server to FM10 clients/FM10 server. They appeared to work fine. However, when I went in to specify an auto login on one client computer, that same login information appeared as the client information on another remote computer. To compound things, once I set the user ID to a database user who had only data entry permissions, all other (well at least two other) accounts will only login using those credentials. Now we can't change login information and all users have to login with the data entry user. Saw similar behavior on other databases, luckily did not test the data entry only approach on any others.

• 1. Re: Set user ID from one client and other clients use the same login
          philmodjunk

"when I went in to specify an auto login on one client computer, that same login information appeared as the client information on another remote computer."

Can you describe this in more detail? Do you have an opener file on the client computer that you set up to connect to the database with a default password or something else?

There may be some confusion on user names versus account names thanks to how the newer installations of filemaker do this. In older filemaker versions, all you had were passwords, you didn't also specify account names. Now, if you specify a user name in preferences, that user name automatically appears as the account name when filemaker asks the user for a password. You can log in under a different account name simply by deleting the default account name and entering a different account name.

I've had to train some of my users to log in by:

1. Press Shift-Tab to jump to the account name box and select all contents
          2. Enter account name
          3. Press Tab
          4. Enter password
          5. Press enter.

That allows them to quickly access fmp on a computer that isn't set up to automatically enter an account name (from the user name field in preferences) that matches their password.

• 2. Re: Set user ID from one client and other clients use the same login
            museumsupport

Thank you for the concise reply. I am going to take a look at it when visit the museum again. I can't recall if I tried the Shift option when I was attempting to login to my one database that has is kind of locked in to the data-entry only user.

• 3. Re: Set user ID from one client and other clients use the same login
              philmodjunk

Also keep in mind that if you haven't updated your accounts and privileges after conversion, all your existing passwords will show up as:

AccountName: (your password)

Password: (your password)

Logging on for each unmodified password account thus requires you to enter the password first in the account name box and then a second time in the password box. You'll need to assign account names to each account so that unauthorized people can't "rubberneck" passwords when someone is logging on.

• 4. Re: Set user ID from one client and other clients use the same login
                museumsupport

Prior to setting up the hosting environment with FM 10 Server, I did upgrade the databases on a client computer and go in and create user accounts/passwords. I created a couple of admin type of accounts (full control) and a read and a data entry account  for each of the databases they are hosting.