4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2011 1:02 PM by TSBear

sharing a database that's on a network drive?

denno

Title

sharing a database that's on a network drive?

Your post

I have been using FMP11 to share a database that's on a network drive but have ben having problems with the file being corrupted. From what I've read, the solution would be to store the file locally.

Will FMP Server allow me to keep the file on the network drive and share it reliably?

When I tried uploading a database with the demo version of Server, I got a warning that the file might be locked, read-only or in use (even though it's not.)

If the file needs to be local, I'm not sure what the advantage of Server is over just sharing it with FMP.

• 1. Re: sharing a database that's on a network drive?
          philmodjunk

Yes, it's dangeous to your file integrity to store the file on a shared location. The danger comes when two or more users attempt to open the file directly from the shared location. This can corrupt the file and that's a very bad thing for your data.

Best Practice is to put the database file on a hard drive of the computer on your network that you select to host the database. Install either FileMaker or FileMaker server on this computer. Use that installed software to open the file. All other users may then access the hosted file by using Open Remote to find and open the file. The directory on which the file is located should not have sharing enabled to guard against this corruptiong from taking place.

• 2. Re: sharing a database that's on a network drive?

denno:

Thanks for posting!

PhilModJunk is correct (thanks!), the file does need to be local, even when being hosted by FileMaker Server. The advantage of using Server over Pro comes in the form of administrative benefits (back up schedules, remote administration, etc.), custom web publishing and a higher user connection limit. You might want to check out this comparison chart to see if you're better off sticking with Pro or if you should move to FileMaker Server:

http://www.filemaker.com/products/compare/

Were you able to get the database uploaded to the server or are you still having some trouble with that?

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: sharing a database that's on a network drive?
              denno

Thanks for the answers. Yes--I have it working fine with the file stored locally. 

With my original setup of the file located on the network drive and shared via FMP, noone else was accessing the file at the same time. Is there still a danger of corruption even when only 1 person access the file?

• 4. Re: sharing a database that's on a network drive?

denno:

There would still be a possibility of corruption with one person accessing the file off of a network drive. A network disconnect mid-edit, something that's easily and automatically dealt with when FileMaker Network Sharing is used, can wreak havoc on a file when accessed directly off of a network drive.

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.