3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2010 4:14 PM by philmodjunk

Single account can log on multiple times

Kobyashi

Title

Single account can log on multiple times

Your post

Using FMS 10 I find that the same user account can be used on multiple computers concurrently. Is it possible to restrict access so that an account can only access the server from one client. If the same account is used at a new client whilst logged on at another client access will be prevented.

• 1. Re: Single account can log on multiple times
          philmodjunk

Not easily.

You'd have to write your own scripts that log the user's Account name time a person opens or closes the file. Where it gets pretty sticky is handling situations where a user logs on and then is disconnected (Idle too long, network glitch, you boot them off to restart the server...) If you don't handle those issues, a person can be permanently locked out  because your log shows that they are already logged on.

• 2. Re: Single account can log on multiple times
            Kobyashi

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping I'd missed a option somewhere. One of the biggest problems will be where users forget to click the log off button that would be needed to remove the 'active user' entry in a table.

It would help if it was possible to send messages to user via the client scripting to say that someone else has logged on with your name. That way I could record users station details when they log on too.

Thanks for the help.

• 3. Re: Single account can log on multiple times
              philmodjunk

You don't need a "log off button". You can set a scrip to run when the file is closed in file options that logs them out. Then the only situation not handled is when the client copy of filemaker crashes or they are disconnected from the database due to idle timeouts, network glitches etc.