4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2009 9:55 AM by MikeyG79

Templates and Importing

MikeyG79

Title

Templates and Importing

Your post

I want to have a set of template files that I can change, then import data from the old files on client sites (I know how to do that.)

Is there a way to migrate the users from live copies into the templates when I update sites? 

• 1. Re: Templates and Importing
          TSGal

MikeyG79:

If you are the server administrator, you can close down the database files, open the template files and import from the database file.  Then, remove the old database file and copy the new template file to the server.  Start up FileMaker Server, and you should be good to go.

If you are doing this individually, then I would create a script in the Template file that imports the information from the old file.  Then you can remove the old file, and rename the new Template to the name of the old file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Templates and Importing
            MikeyG79
               I can do the acutal data, I'm referring to the users and their access. I don't want to have to have all the users in the templates, not at all the different sites.
            • 3. Re: Templates and Importing
              TSGal

MikeyG79:

You cannot import the account names and privileges into a new file.  If you just created a new table, you can import that table into the existing database file.  If you created a new layout, you can copy and paste the layout into the working file.

In the future, you may want to consider keeping a copy/clone of the file.  This will allow you to make changes to the structure.  Then, you can import the data and replace the working copy with the new copy.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Templates and Importing
                MikeyG79
                   That would work, but say I have 3 sites all using the same product with different users. I don't want all the users at all the sites, and removing them from all the files is a waste of resources.