4 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2010 8:17 AM by lenniet

Terminal Command for uploading databases

lenniet

Title

Terminal Command for uploading databases

Your post

I have the terminal commands to do most things in FileMaker Server (trying to do everything without using the Admin Console in an effort to not have to keep restarting the server to avoid the "server going dark" problem), but I can't find the command that will upload a database into the database folder and change the permissions while doing so. Is there such a command?

Thanks

Lennie

• 1. Re: Terminal Command for uploading databases
          MikeyG79

What OS?

What's wrong with the Admin Console?

• 2. Re: Terminal Command for uploading databases
            lenniet

OS X on Macs. I don't know if it is the Admin Console or not, FileMaker can't seem to solve the FMServer going "dark" problem so I am looking for a solution. I don't know for sure that FileMaker has ever even admitted that FMServer has a problem, but I currently have FMServer 9 running on a Xserve and FMServer 10 running on an eight core Mac and both machines will go "dark" from time to time. By "dark" I mean that if you are connected to the serever you can continue to work, but if you exit or are dropped off you can't get back into FMServer. These machines are on two totally different networks, miles apart from each other with clients all over the state. There is no rime or reason to the "going dark." Can happen any time, may take two weeks, two days or two hours. Only solution is to stop FMServer (which usually can only be done from the command line when the server goes dark, but not always) and restart the server. Once the server is up and running again everybody can get in and go about their business. Prior to retiring from the University I had several FMServers running, 5, 7, 8, 9s, and 10s and only the 9 and 10 machines had this problem. Since 9 is when the admin console came about I am experimenting to see if only using the command line stops the problem, thinking it has something to do with running the Admin Console. This is something FileMaker should be doing and reporting back about. I have no choice but to do this on production machines, we are in up to our butts with FileMaker, no turning back now. Our current solution is to restart the server once a week, but as I mention this is not always a 100% solution.

Lennie

• 3. Re: Terminal Command for uploading databases
              MikeyG79

Mac OS X is a unix like system - so you can write scripts or just use the terminal to move files in and out of th database folder after closing them. Permissions can be set as well.

mv - move

cp - copy

chown - change owner

etc.

• 4. Re: Terminal Command for uploading databases
                lenniet

Thanks, I looked that up and now know how to change the permissions so that will work. Thanks again.

Lennie