3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2013 1:37 AM by bagheraa

The server doesn't serve a database

bagheraa

Title

The server doesn't serve a database

Your post

Hello,

I have a big database (about 1.4 Gb) that was converted from version 11 to 12, and holds images and documents.

I'm trying to upload it to the FileMaker 12 Server advance using the server admin console, but the console has a problem (we don't know what) and crashes allways after a minute or so, so it is impossible to upload it this way. So I have copied manually the database to the data/databases server directory. 

Now the database appears on the console (but with a black semi circle, not a complete black circle).

The problem is that when I go to FileMaker 12 client and try to open it remotely, the name of the database doesn't appear on the remote machine database list. But if I put the database name manually on the name field, I can open it a use it.

But when I connect it as an external source from another database, it is impossible to get the contextual menu for the new reccord images.

Can anyone help me? Why does the server admin console allways crashes after one minute? Why the database does not appear on the databse list of the server on a remote open? Why it does not appear the contextual menu for the images of the database when connecting it as an external source? Are all those things related?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: The server doesn't serve a database
          wbr

I have a similar problem. I created a new fmp12 file and uploaded it to our FMSA 12.0v4 server. The file never finishes opening on the server. The admin console (and the command line "fmsadmin status file file_name") continues to say "opening" indefinitely, and the file is not accessible from the "Open Remote" dialog of Filemaker Pro. No combination of closing, reopening, restarting will get the file completely open & running on the server.

• 2. Re: The server doesn't serve a database

bagheraa and William Richardson:

Thank you for the posts and I apologize for the delay.

The half semi-circle indicates that the option to not show the file name in the open remote dialogue is enabled. The setting can be found when the file is opened with FileMaker Pro 12 under File > Sharing… > FileMaker Network. Please see the screenshot below.

The file sticking in the "Opening" state is probably unrelated and I will require some more information:

1. What is the operating system for the FileMaker Server 12.0v4 installation?

2. Is the database file being uploaded using the Admin Console's "Upload Database" action?

3. What version of Java is currently installed?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: The server doesn't serve a database
              bagheraa

Hello TSFalcon,

Thanks for your post.

In the file with problems the flag you mentioned was checked. Once unchecked the file appeared on the remote opening and this issue is solved.

In our company, we still have our databases in FMS11 on a remote server, and I'm now moving to FMS12. For avoiding collisions between servers, I have installed FMS12A on my own development machine (the same I use for FMP12A,) a PC with Windows 7 Professional, and updated to the latest Java version 7.25.

My problem with the uploading is that de FMS12A admin console crashes allways after 1 minute, and it's impossible to upload any big file with the "Upload database" action, as the console stops before ending the upload.

Enrique Marti

El Ranchito

Spain