1 2 3 Previous Next 36 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2015 9:13 AM by TSGal

Thumbnail Generation Crashes

bigtom

Title

Thumbnail Generation Crashes

Your post

There seems to be a number of people still experiencing this and support from Filemaker for this has been fairly unhelpful thus far in producing an actual fix. My crashes were gone for about a month and then three in one day along with one crash causing OSX to frag the USB backup drives (not a FM problem, but why all the crashes).

I am hoping to gather all the random topics on this problem and get them in one place so this might get fixed faster. If you are having this crash problem bring it here so FM understand how many people are affected and hopefully this can get fixed ASAP. This has been going for nearly six months without and real solution.

Report can be found at:

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/d3853db796?page=1

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/67171e38a7

There may be more but the search function here is not the best.

It should be noted that I am running with Thumbnail Generation set to Permanent Storage and still getting these crashes.

• 1. Re: Thumbnail Generation Crashes
          PointInSpace

Tom -

Some questions regarding your experience:

- What hardware are you running on?  What OS version?  FileMaker Server version?

- Have you had them happen with both internally and externally stored container data?

- Have you tried disabling thumbnail generation alltogether?

- Were FMGo clients involved in the solution?

- Were these converted databases, or built from scratch?

- Is this specifically related to .pdf files being loaded into the containers, or other image data as well?

I'm trying to get these answered by everyone with the issues to see if there's anything that correlates.  Thanks!

- John

• 2. Re: Thumbnail Generation Crashes
            bigtom

Testing and Development are still unable to reproduce the issue (even when using your solution/clone).  Testing has noticed that many of these crashes have occurred on Mac Minis, and has focused testing on those machines.

Have you been able to reproduce the issue with a specific image?  If so, please send it to me.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

Testing is now requesting the image files that have caused the crashing.  Send five of the images that you know caused a crash.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

We drop way too many images into containers. Drop 200-300 images and 1 causes a crash I was not keeping track of the images as it did not seem image related. I can only keep track of that now and forward them on as the crashes happen from now.

• 3. Re: Thumbnail Generation Crashes
              bigtom

John, copied over the response from your PM.

- What version of OS X are you running?  FileMaker Server (including point update version)?

Problem exists from 10.9.2 through 10.9.5. Problem has happened with all versions of FMS up to 13.0.4.400 which is my latest version. I worry about upgrading as I am not running 10.10 yet and most things still work.

- Are you using container fields with iPads / FMGo?

Yes, but the crashes only happen for me from FMPro machines. Never a crash from FMGo.

- Are you storing .pdfs in the container fields?

No. I only ever store JPG images in containers. We do a lot of them though. Can be up to 2000 per week.

- Under File -> Manage -> Containers -> Thumbnails, do you have "Generate and store thumbnails for images" enabled and, if so, do you have it set to "Permanent storage" or "Temporary storage"?

Currently set to Permanent.

- Have you tried disabling thumbnail generation completely to see if that fixes things?

Tried it, but had same issues. FM has told me this need to be turned on if you use Thumbnails. I dont understand why there is even an option for this. I guess some people run text only databases and this reduces overhead.

I did do a recover on my file and then reimported all the data. That kept the crashes away for about a month, but they are back. Not sure if they that was connected or just a random occurrence.

• 4. Re: Thumbnail Generation Crashes
                bigtom

I also recently increased the cache size on the server. The file had grown larger than the cache size an now the cache is about 20% larger than the total file size.

- Have you had them happen with both internally and externally stored container data?

All my containers are internal now. Had the same problem with external storage as well.

- Were these converted databases, or built from scratch?

The original database was converted to FM12 from Bento using the migration tool. The file was then updated with FM13 features. I am seriously considering starting over with a complete redesign using FM13 as being originally based on a flat inventory list is not helping now from a usage perspective and I would prefer to have one design that is identical on desktop and iOS.

• 5. Re: Thumbnail Generation Crashes
                  PointInSpace

So your crashes are occuring with JPG files?  That's an interesting data point, as it seems everyone else so far is using PDFs.

Has the server crashed since increasing the cache size?

Have you considered upgrading to 13v5?  We just did so on a culprit server here, but it hasn't been long enough to know if it makes a difference.  FileMaker also said 13v5 didn't make any changes specifically to deal with this issue.

- John

• 6. Re: Thumbnail Generation Crashes
                    bigtom

John,

I believe there was at least one other guy that had issues with JPG files in containers that I read about. 

From what I can see the memory seems to overrun during the thumbnail generation.

I am using a MacMini Server right now. I was thinking of getting a MacPro with registered ECC Ram in hopes to fix the issue. Have you had any failures like this on ECC memory machines?

Have not upgraded to 13v5 yet. I may give it a shot over the holidays and see how it goes.

Not sure if it matters but the clients that have the crashes are 12v5. We have a plugin conflict with 13 that keeps us downgraded at the moment for the desktop clients.

• 7. Re: Thumbnail Generation Crashes
                      PointInSpace

There are reports of folks running on MacPros having this issue as well.  We are running VMs with ECC RAM.

We have a client seeing the crashes with Server 13v5, FYI.

- John

• 8. Re: Thumbnail Generation Crashes
                        bigtom

Thanks John. I guess throwing hardware at the problem wont work. I will have to continue to wait on FM to figure it out. Although I was hoping to justify a MacPro for the server.

I resize and export the image when it is dropped into the container and then use the OS via apple script to change the image compression (which should be native FM). That image path is then inserted back into the container and two other small size layout thumbnail fields are set.

I thought it may have something to do with the OS not having the compression done before FM tries to insert the image but I have added pauses and there was no help there. What size PDFs are you seeing the issues with? Just larger sizes?

• 9. Re: Thumbnail Generation Crashes
                          PointInSpace

I'm not sure exactly what the variety of file sizes involves.  The few I've been provided by one particular customer are a meg to a couple megs in size.  I don't think upping the memory or cache on the machine helps - looks like it's probably a runaway loop of some sort.

- John

• 10. Re: Thumbnail Generation Crashes
                            bigtom

Testing is now requesting the image files that have caused the crashing.  Send five of the images that you know caused a crash.

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.

Sent in an image file. Only have one so far. Any progress on this issue?

• 11. Re: Thumbnail Generation Crashes
                              bigtom

Had another crash. Progress?

• 12. Re: Thumbnail Generation Crashes
                                PointInSpace

Have you been able to send FileMaker any further example files?  We've sent a couple here.  No further response from them as of yet.

- John

• 13. Re: Thumbnail Generation Crashes
                                  bigtom

Yes, I sent in a clone of the file that is crashing. No response other than they are looking into it.

• 14. Re: Thumbnail Generation Crashes
                                    TSGal

Tom Oathoudt:

I have received your JPG file.  Thank you.

Although I am unable to have FileMaker Server 13.0v5 crash with the file, I have sent the file to Development and Testing for review.  I will keep you updated as information becomes available.

TSGal
                                    FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 3 Previous Next