3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2009 12:56 PM by TSGal

Timed Out

mmccarty

Title

Timed Out

Your post

Hello,

I set up the server to time out of a session when the user has been away for more than 20 minutes. When the user returns and tries to click a button, the screen changes to the standard internet error screen that says can't find page. My boss thinks that this is confusing and that people won't know that they timed out of the database.

I created a simple layout that says "Your session timed out". I want to run a script which sends the user to this page right before the session is timed out. That way when they return they are told the database has timed out (if they click buttons and get internet error message after that I don't care). I tries connecting the script to "on close" in File Options but that didn't work.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Timed Out
          TSGal

mmccarty:

Thank you for your post.

You may want to look at "Install OnTimer Script" script step.  This allows you to run a script at a specified interval.  After the specified interval has passed, the next time the application is idle, the script runs.

This script step repeats until the window in which it is running either closes or the options change.  You can also halt the step by specifying another "Install OnTimer Script" script step for the window without a script specified.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Timed Out
            mmccarty
               Thanks for the idea but Install OnTimer Script Trigger is not web compatable.  My users access the database via the web.
            • 3. Re: Timed Out
              TSGal

mmccarty:

Oops!  You're right.  Sorry for the bad advice...  :-(

I can't think of a way to change the layout before a timeout occurs.  Anyone else have ideas?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.