AnsweredAssumed Answered

Two-machine deployment issue: PHP on worker can't see databases on master

Question asked by BarbaraWeitbrecht on Jan 28, 2014
Latest reply on Aug 21, 2016 by user27350

Title

Two-machine deployment issue: PHP on worker can't see databases on master

Your post

We are working on a two-machine deployment with FileMaker Server Advanced 13 on two Windows Server 2008 R2 virtual servers. The frustrating part of this is that I had previously created a two-machine deployment with FileMaker Server 12 on a pair of similar virtual servers while developing our application. But now that we are ready to go production, I can't get the new web server, which is running the FileMaker API for PHP, to see the new database server.

In the end, I stripped the code down to a test call against the demo tables supplied by Todd Duell with his book "FileMaker API for PHP 12". (I've removed our DB server IP for security reasons):

<?php 

require_once ('FileMaker.php');
$fm = new FileMaker('php_demo', '<IP here>', 'Admin', '1234');

$dbs = $fm->listDatabases(); /*will work regardless of validity of login */

if (FileMaker::isError($dbs)) { /*can't connect to server*/
  echo 'Error listing databases!<br/><br/>' ;
  echo $dbs->getMessage();
  exit;
}

<more code here, in case the call succeeds...>
?>

Even this simplified code fails with the dreaded error:

Communication Error: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found - This can be due to an invalid username or password, or if the FMPHP privilege is not enabled for that user.

I interpret this to mean that the PHP API is simply not seeing the hosted databases. My web searches on this message don't turn up much of use. The best summary I have found so far, which is where I got the listDatabases() strategy is here:

http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/65880-php-api-cannot-talk-with-fm/

Our IT division and I are scratching our collective heads over this. We suspect it's an OS issue (we have made some server OS changes lately), but we are at a loss. For what it's worth, the firewalls on both servers seem to be correctly configured. Repeated uninstalls and reinstalls haven't changed this symptom.

There are some other odd symptoms, one of which I mentioned in another note yesterday: the Technology Tests Page was never installed. This means I can't use the Technology Tests Page to try to diagnose the deployment issue. However, when I run the deployment (or edit the deployment), the deployment logs don't show any errors. And the database server seems to serving databases without problems.

Suggestions?

Outcomes