1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2010 1:21 PM by TSGal

Unable to Launch the Application - Error message

CraigSterling

Title

Unable to Launch the Application - Error message

Your post

Good morning.  I'm running FMS9 on an intel Mac with OS X 10.5.5 operating system.  Due to a scheduled power outage, I closed all files and shut down the server on 10/31/2008.  Today, 11/3/2008, the files are accessible, but the admin window will not launch.  After "trusting" the certificate, an application error window appears that states, "Unable to launch the application."  Clicking details the exact error listed is "Unexpected exception: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException"  

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

Craig Sterling 

• 1. Re: Unable to Launch the Application - Error message
          rmanook

Hi CraigSterling,

Thanks for posting.

Also, try clearing your web browser cache and then going to Utilities > Java > Java preferences > Security tab > View Cache Files and remove the FMS 9 Admin Console.   Then, try launching the Admin again.

If that fails, are you able to access the Admin Console from another machine using the <ipaddress>:16000?  If so, I would recommend closing all of the databases and un/re-installing FileMaker. 

Let me know how it works out.  

Thanks.

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Unable to Launch the Application - Error message
            CraigSterling

Hi tsturtle,

Thanks for your suggestions.  On the host machine, I have emptied the cache and removed the files from Java.  It would not launch.

I also accessed through a remote machine and the same error message appears.  How can I safely close the databases without access to the Admin console to un/reinstall the software.  I do numerous back-up files if I simply need to uninstall/reinstall without properly closing the files.  Suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Craig 

• 3. Re: Unable to Launch the Application - Error message
              rmanook

CraigSterling:

You can close all of your database via the following command:

fmsadmin close

Once the databases are closed, try the following command:

fmsadmin stop server

Then try this command and see if the Admin Console will launch:

fmsadmin start server

If the Admin Console fails again, close all of the databases, stop the server and then un/re-install.  Let me know if there is anything else I can clarify for you.

Thanks,

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Unable to Launch the Application - Error message
                CraigSterling

Hello again, ts_turtle.

Thanks for the commands.  I was able to close the databases, stop the server, and restart.  Unfortunately the admin console still will not launch.  I will need to reinstall FMS at a later date to be determined.  The Director of the program I support does not want to be without access to the databases.  She is talking with staff about what day next week is good.  i'll let you know how everything turns out.  Thank you so much for all of the assistance.

Sincerely,

Craig Sterling 

• 5. Re: Unable to Launch the Application - Error message
                  rmanook

Hi CraigSterling,

I just wanted to throw this into the testing as well...

Re-create the Admin Console fail and then launch terminal.  Enter the following command:

sudo apachectl -t

Do you get any host name error messages?

Thanks!

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Unable to Launch the Application - Error message
                    JonThompson
                       Has this been resolved at all? I have the same problem, and cannot seem to settle it.  I have not tried to reinstall yet.
                    • 7. Re: Unable to Launch the Application - Error message
                      JonThompson
                         Nevermind- anyone having this problem, please update with the SSL updater on Filemaker's website.  Please note that Filemaker server will indicate that the version is up to date when it is actually not.
                      • 8. Re: Unable to Launch the Application - Error message
                        jodowd
                           We have the same problem with a PowerPc Dual based Mac running Leopard Server.  The SSL updates are for Intel platforms (windows, intel based 64bit macs).  We are still dead in the water.
                        • 9. Re: Unable to Launch the Application - Error message
                          ericr

Good Morning. Long time FM user, first Server Virgin. 

1. Do I have to have the Server version installed on my local machine in order to start the Admin Console?

2. I do not have it loaded. It is loaded on a different machine elsewhere in the building.

3. When I click the Start Admin Console button it launches Java, thinks a small bit and then comes up with a dialog box that says, "Unable to the application."

HELP 

• 10. Re: Unable to Launch the Application - Error message
                            robertgosney

Eric,

Make absolutely certain that your host server platform is not running a Java Version above 7.   Sun recently released version 11 and it will cause havoc with the Console on the Host machine where it is installed.

If another machine does not have version 7, it seems to allow you to access the filemaker database's with no problem.

Good Luck!

Bob

• 11. Re: Unable to Launch the Application - Error message
                              toedeloe

Dear,

I have the same problem. a complete irresponsive admin console. I am on Mac OS 10.5 and just underwent the Java 6 update 2 which ruined the admin console. I reinstalled Mac OS to go back to Java 5.0, but no solution here. When is click the admin console whatever that is downloaded, it tells me it cannot launch the application.

What on hell do I need to do to restart this application, we have critical databases running on it, and I would like to have this plain idiotic approach solved bullet proof.

As a side-thought: for me it is extremely worrying one needs to access an server application by a third party solution that is prone to changes, unsupported by Filemaker, in fact it is beyond comprehension !!! Maybe Filemaker may think about having its own console, that has been tested thoroughly, or at least a normal application access, you know, an application icon that launches the application you paid for ...

Txs for your help 

• 12. Re: Unable to Launch the Application - Error message
                                Jens Teich
                                   Please open a new thread for this issue.
                                • 13. Re: Unable to Launch the Application - Error message
                                  DefenistrateIt

Hello "Ericr"

Q1. Do I have to have the Server version installed on my local machine in order to start the Admin Console?

A. Short answer to this is No. But depending on the version you are using, you may have to install the console software Ie.. Versions before 9, the latest version only require the latest Java software to be install. http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

Q2. I do not have it loaded. It is loaded on a different machine elsewhere in the building.

A. This does not matter as long as you have TCP access with port 16000 open

Q3. When I click the Start Admin Console button it launches Java, thinks a small bit and then comes up with a dialog box that says, "Unable to the application."

A. Do you mean "Unable to Launch the Application"? This is what this thread is about, you have to shut down all parts of the server & install the SSL update. http://filemaker.com/support/updaters/fms_9.0.3.326_SSL_mac_update.html

• 14. Re: Unable to Launch the Application - Error message
                                    tomcorbett

THANKS!

Just wanted to say I had the same problem as many on this thread have explained and did what was proposed here. All works again now. I can launch the FMS Admin Console.

I did first:

CraigSterling:

You can close all of your database via the following command:

fmsadmin close

Once the databases are closed, try the following command:

fmsadmin stop server

Then try this command and see if the Admin Console will launch:

fmsadmin start server

Then I did the

JonThompson wrote:
                                    Nevermind- anyone having this problem, please update with the SSL updater on Filemaker's website.  Please note that Filemaker server will indicate that the version is up to date when it is actually not.

Thanks for all the help people. You are live savers. :)

Best, 

Tom

1 2 Previous Next