3 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2011 3:50 PM by TSBear

Unable to open database

BrendanMcGowan

Title

Unable to open database

Your post

We are migrating from a Macintosh environment to a Windows environment and after copying over the database to the new server (Windows Server 2008 x64 Standard) it shows up in the Admin Console under the Databases option, but when I right-click and chose "Open"... nothing happens.

I have tried the same process with the "Sample" database and it will open & close with no problem.  I have verified that the permissions on both files are the same as well.

I'm thinking that the file is either corrupt or because it was copied from a Mac system, that that is causing some incompatability.  I'm going to try having the Mac system admin make a backup, copy it to my Windows system, and try to restore it.

Thoughts & suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Brendan

• 1. Re: Unable to open database

Brendan McGowan:

Thanks for posting.

It does sound like a corrupt file (FileMaker Server will refuse to open a corrupt database to prevent it from being used or backed up) but it's much more likely that the corruption was present on the Mac side as well. Some times, the consistency check will find corruption on one operating system that it couldn't find on a different one.

At this point, I highly recommend following the steps in knowledge base answer #7336 to ensure that you're free of corruption moving forward.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7336

The steps in this KB assume that you have back ups that don't exhibit this behavior and that you're able to open the latest copy of the file in FileMaker Pro. If you're unable to open the database in FileMaker Pro, attempt to run recovery on the file through the File -> Recover menu.

TSBear
          FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Unable to open database
            BrendanMcGowan

So assuming that any corruption gets cleaned up, should I be able to simply copy the database file from a Mac system on to a Windows system and have it work?

• 3. Re: Unable to open database

Brendan McGowan:

That's correct, you don't need to do anything additional when moving a file from Mac to Windows or vice versa.

TSBear
              FileMaker, Inc.