6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2010 3:06 PM by TSGal

Uninstalling FileMaker Server removes IIS website and ISAPI data!

wardvo

Title

Uninstalling FileMaker Server removes IIS website and ISAPI data!

Your post

Our FileMaker 9 Server had some issues and needed to be re-installed.

So we removed FMS 9 via Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and re-installed it.

No problems so far.

A while later we noticed that some of our websites that were running on the IIS (that the WPE also uses) didn't work any more.

When we checked we saw that the simply were not there anymore. (the data was still on the server, but the website in the IIS was gone).

To test this weird behavior we did some testing on a clean machine (Windows 2003)

1. Make a new website in IIS (called website1)

2. Install FMS9

3. Make another website in IIS (called website2)

4. Uninstall FMS9

Result: only "website1" was still in the IIS!

This means that when you install FMS9 it takes some kind of snapshot of the IIS and restores that state when FMS9 is uninstalled.

It does not only remove the websites that were added after the FMS installation, but also ISAPI filters and possibly even more stuff...

Is this normal behavior?

I also tested this with FMS10, and it gave me the same result!  

• 1. Re: Uninstalling FileMaker Server removes IIS website and ISAPI data!
          kapitaen_1

hi wardvo,

i have seen the same behaviour that uninstalling filemaker server corrupts my iis setup. Two things i have seen...

a) one website disappears (as i remember it must have been the second listed in iis console)

b) if you have ftp sites configured, all ftp sites disappear completely from iis console. and when you try to create new ones, oops, the context menu in iis console doesnt have "create ftp site" any more. So i had to go to System conrtrol, Software, Windows components, and had to remove ftp from iis, restart, install ftp again to creae ftp sites again.

System has been Windows 2003 R2, all online patches installed. And as you already have said, it is the same with Filemaker Server 9a and 10a (the small 5 user versions from technet).

Next time i have to uninstall filemaker server from my win2003, i will make a metabase snapshot of websites, ftp, and pools before uninstalling and try to reconfigure after having fmps removed.

Greetings from germany

Chris 

• 2. Re: Uninstalling FileMaker Server removes IIS website and ISAPI data!
            JasonH
               Not sure if it's any help but I noticed on my system (2003 IIS) it was using a php.ini config file in the Filemaker folder. If it's just php files that are not working then make sure a php.ini file is in the path.
            • 3. Re: Uninstalling FileMaker Server removes IIS website and ISAPI data!
              rolfclausson
                 We have had the same problem with 2 different servers running Windows Server 2003. Uninstalling FMS 9 removes all web sites created after FMS 9 installation. Fortunately, we use "iisback" to backup all web site settings regulary so it was easy to restore them. But it should not happen!
              • 4. Re: Uninstalling FileMaker Server removes IIS website and ISAPI data!
                themartyrobson
                   We have just encountered this also, in the process of uninstalling FMS9 and Installing FMS10 on a secondary server.  What is interesting, is that upon Installing FMS10, the IIS process returned to normal.  Has anyone else found that to be the case, or were we just lucky?
                • 5. Re: Uninstalling FileMaker Server removes IIS website and ISAPI data!
                  oars

We are using Windows Server 2003 R2 and found the same types of issues.

We uninstalled FMS 9 and installed FMS 10, and then had to do the following:

1. re-point PHP application & web service extensions in IIS to fcgiext.dll (this got wiped out)

2. re-add multiple virtual directories back to IIS (these got wiped out)

• 6. Re: Uninstalling FileMaker Server removes IIS website and ISAPI data!
                    TSGal

technerd (et al):

Thank you for your posts.

Here is a note regarding this issue from one of our testers...

"Yes, there are potential issues associated with the modification of the IIS default entries. In most cases with the supported IIS versions, the default uninstall/install should work as expected. I have tested with adding custom virtual directories, and the only modifications removed were under the default web site. My other entries were left intact. The other possibility is if the customer bases a second virtual directory on entries made by FileMaker Server. Then those web sites will not work. However, it should not remove the virtual directory. It appears the users have modified installations, and could be basing new custom entries from what was installed. I would be very interested in their IIS set up and all the entries they are using. With the basic install and adding extra virtual directories, I did not see this behavior"

You can either post your IIS information here, or you can send me a private message (top of this page - right side - just below the blue horizontal bar - envelope icon) with the information.  I'll make sure it gets passed back to the tester.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.