6 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2014 9:58 AM by CarlDavis

Updating an existing Web Direct database

CarlDavis

Title

Updating an existing Web Direct database

Your post

We are just getting into the Web Direct databases and I have a question about how we might update the layout, fields, etc of a database that has been published on FM Server 13 on a Mac.

As best I can tell, the only way would be to close the database, download it from the web admin page, open it in Filemaker Advanced, make the changes, then re-upload it back to the server.

Is that the only way or is there something more direct?

Thanks

Carl

• 1. Re: Updating an existing Web Direct database

Carl Davis: 

Thank you for the post.

Best practice is to not to develop layouts while in production. 

Layout (and other schema) changes can be made with any version of the FileMaker Pro or the FileMaker Pro Advanced client while the file is hosted and open on FileMaker Server. 

To avoid changing the layout on the live file, you can duplicate the layout (and place in production after the changes are finished). 

This process is called FileMaker Network Sharing. Additionally, here are some useful knowledge base articles:

Network Sharing

Introduction to sharing files with FileMaker Pro

How do I share my databases on a network?

Setting up a Computer to Share Files with FileMaker Pro

How do you share or host FileMaker databases?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Updating an existing Web Direct database
            CarlDavis

Thanks for the response.  In my case this is an internal database, so access time is not critical.  We have the layout and fields fairly well set, but as users begin to use the system they might ask for additional fields or the type of field, etc.

You say that any version of FileMaker Pro or Advanced can edit the file while it is hosted and open on FileMaker Server.  How does one access the database file?  When I open FileMaker Advanced and select Open Remote, the database does not show up as an option.

Reading the reference links you provided, I am not seeing anything that clearly shows the process.  It seems like my only option to do this is to have a machine with FileMaker Pro or Advanced "share" the database.  Since that machine would have the database open, I would then have access to the database itself for any changes or updates.  That could be okay other than it ties up a machine and it would have to be on and the sharing functionality enabled as long as someone would want to access the database, which defeats the purpose of having FileMaker server.

Thanks

Carl

• 3. Re: Updating an existing Web Direct database

Carl Davis: 

Thank you for the reply.

"When I open FileMaker Advanced and select Open Remote, the database does not show up as an option."

Most of the time this indicates port 5003 is not open to the client from the host, but others issues can manifest the same symptoms. 

Troubleshooting FileMaker Network Sharing in FileMaker Pro

Why am I unable to host my FileMaker database?

FileMaker Network Sharing Standard Support Checklist

If the above articles do not lead to a resolution, FileMaker Network Sharing is standard support topic, so technical support can assist with the above checklist for free.

If you are located in the U.S. or Canada, then contact technical support toll free at 1-800-325-2747. The hours are between 7 AM - 5 PM PDT. 

If you are located outside of North America, then locate the technical support office nearest you from the following link:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/intl/

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Updating an existing Web Direct database
                CarlDavis

I do have other databases that are being shared in the traditional sense and do show up when viewing the Open Remote window.  This is our first attempt at a web based database.

Here is a screenshot of the server admin page:

DB 1 is the new database that I am trying to figure out what the best method of modifying the layout and fields should the need arise in the future.
                     DB 2 through 11 all show up in FileMaker Pro or Advanced when Open Remote is selected.

From what it seems like, the only method is what I theorized in the initial post for a database that is web based and hosted via FileMaker Server.

Thanks again

Carl
                • 5. Re: Updating an existing Web Direct database

Carl Davis: 

Thank you for the reply.

The dot under the columns indicates the access privileges for the file. DB 1 does not have the GO/PRO (fmapp) privilege enabled. This means the file is not accessible using FileMaker's Network Sharing.

The half dots for DB 10 and DB 11 indicate the checkbox to not show the file in the Open Remote dialog is checked.

Open the DB 1 file with FileMaker Pro 13 locally:

1. File > Manage > Security…

2. Click Extended Privileges (3rd option at the top) > Click "fmapp" > Edit…

3. Check the box for any accounts that need access via FileMaker Network Sharing

The file should now have the GO/PRO dot in the FileMaker Server 13 Admin Console and be accessible via FileMaker Network Sharing.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Updating an existing Web Direct database
                    CarlDavis

Thanks for the information, that makes sense and will get me what I am looking for.

Carl