3 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2015 7:24 AM by disabled_ntaylor

Upgrade OSX 10.9 to 10.10 with FMS 13, any issues?

MattijnBoer

Title

Upgrade OSX 10.9 to 10.10 with FMS 13, any issues?

Your post

At the moment we are running a OSX 10.9.5 Server with Java 8 update 45 and FMS 13.0v5 installed.
      All the clients are running OSX 10.10.3 with FM 12.0v5  installed, all without issues.

Now I want to update the server to OSX 10.10.3 too, but will my current FMS install just keep on running?
      Or are there issues? And do I need to reinstall FMS?

Hope anyone has an idea? Because I can not find information on this, only thay I need do reinstall FMS 13.0v5 when upgrading from 13.0v4 under OSX 10.9.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Upgrade OSX 10.9 to 10.10 with FMS 13, any issues?

Mattijn Boer:

Thank you for the post.

“At the moment we are running a OSX 10.9.5 Server”

Mac OS X 10.9.5 is supported but Mac OS X 10.9.5 with the Server.app is not supported. Mac OS X 10.10.3 is supported but Mac OS X 10.10.3 with the Server.app is not supported. 

While you state this is currently working without issues, we know there are port conflicts and issues with Web Publishing when using FileMaker Server 13 and the Mac OS X Server.app on the same computer.

For a full list of operating system tested to be compatible with FileMaker Server 13, please review the following knowledge base article:

System Requirements for FileMaker Server 13

“Java 8 update 45”

Java 8 is also not tested to be compatible with FileMaker Server 13. The recommended version is Java 7 update 75.

FileMaker Server and Java - Overview

“Now I want to update the server to OSX 10.10.3 too, but will my current FMS install just keep on running?

Or are there issues? And do I need to reinstall FMS?”

The installation may keep running, but there could be issues because of what is discussed above or caused by the OS upgrade. 

The official suggestion would be to do perform the following steps:

1. Uninstall FileMaker Server 13 

2. Uninstall Java 8

3. Uninstall the Server.app

4. Upgrade the operating system 

5. Reinstall FileMaker Server 13

Please let me know if any of the above requires additional clarification. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Upgrade OSX 10.9 to 10.10 with FMS 13, any issues?
            MattijnBoer

hi TSFalcon,

Thanks for you reply, although I am a little surprised.... Filemaker Server can not be run on a OSX Server? Funny.
            I think this only has to do with a OSX Server running webservices. We use our server with FMS installed only as file and backupserver. I don't think this interferes with FMS, it has never done. Besides that, we do not use web publishing at all.

Are you aware that Java will not be updated (security etc) from April 2015? 
            Is there a specific reason that Java8 is not supported? For such an important program as Filemaker I would expect them to be up to date at any time.

So if I need to reinstall the whole package, is there a way to export all settings, so I do not need to enter them manually again?

Also, I tried to start another mac with a CarbonCloneCopy of our server (without internet connection), just to test if FMS would run after upgrading the system.
            But on this backup disk boot the web module does not start. Does it need an internet connection to start?

Regards
            Mattijn

• 3. Re: Upgrade OSX 10.9 to 10.10 with FMS 13, any issues?

Mattijn Boer:

Thank you for the reply. I was out of the office yesterday, so I apologize for the delay.

“Besides that, we do not use web publishing at all.”

If using the “Admin Console,” “Uploading  with FileMaker Pro,” or “Inserting data in externally stored container fields from all clients,” then FileMaker’s instance of a Web Server is being used. For more information, review the following:

Understanding the system requirements for FileMaker Server 13

“Are you aware that Java will not be updated (security etc) from April 2015? 
              Is there a specific reason that Java8 is not supported?”

Per policy, FileMaker, Inc. does not comment on future or unannounced products; however, subscribe to the following knowledge base article and if anything changes, then the article will be update:

FileMaker Server and Java - Overview

“So if I need to reinstall the whole package, is there a way to export all settings, so I do not need to enter them manually again?”

Yes. Perform the following steps:

1. Log into the Admin Console

2. Click “Server” (top-right)

3. Click “Save Schedules and Groups…”

“I tried to start another mac with a CarbonCloneCopy of our server (without internet connection)”

No internet connected is needed to deploy FileMaker Server locally on a single computer; however, cloning software is not a tested method of installation and if live files were backed up that could lead to file corruption. 

Please let me know if any of the above requires additional clarification. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.