Presently we use filemaker 8.5 to 11. When I heard that v12 was not backward compatible why upgrade? It would be a lot of cash for the many users and server and advanced versions we use.
But if someday we upgrade I have a couple of questions I have had for a long time
1. When most all screens are wider then tall why lock the advanced menu on the top? In the new versions can it sweep to the side?
2. Is their a server side print server yet in in the server version? In the IWP it would not print correctly in windows browsers.
3. Are the new versions using something like 360' s supercontainer? Why not? Our system bulks down quickly with server advanced 11 because of container files (we don't use supercontainer). From reading it seems to retain the bulk in the file system instead of referencing files from a source folder on the server?
4. Would it be that much faster? Maybe I just have not figured it out yet but is there a simple way to limit what is retrieved from the server for the users screenshots, lists, data etc. so the server would not have to work so hard?
5. In the sales stuff it seems to not mention php / mysql as a big advantage past v11? Why
I think filemaker is a great product, just seems like the stupid stuff like locking the menu bar on the top after v9 and not backward compatible where rough to follow for your basic developer/user