5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2012 3:57 AM by JoshuaKinsella

Upgrading Filemaker Pro Server

JoshuaKinsella

Title

Upgrading Filemaker Pro Server

Your post

First of all I would like to say Hi as I am new to these forums.

I have recently been taken on with a company that is using Filemaker Pro 6 in conjunction with a Filemaker Pro Server 5.5. My manager wishes to upgrade to Filemaker Pro 8. Now I am not sure which version of server I would require for this, I have Filemaker Pro 8 on disc, is the server something that comes with that or is that something i have to purchase or obtain elsewhere? Also what would be the best method for upgrading? We use the Filemaker Server quite a lot as it is more or less always being added to so we wish to avoid downtime as much as possible.

Any help on this issue would be much appreciated

Regards

Josh

• 1. Re: Upgrading Filemaker Pro Server
          philmodjunk

Filemaker server is a separate application and much more expensive than FileMaker Pro to purchase. You can check out the product info pages for pricing. The current version of Server is FileMaker Server 12. It cannot open and host Filemaker 8 files, but if you can acquire Filemkaer server 11 (I think they still offer a way to get that version), Server 11 will open and host Filemaker 8 files. (versions 7 through 11 have the same file format so Server 11 can host files for clients using filemaker Pro 7 through 11.)

Note that Filemaker 8 has a different file format than fileMaker 6. You will need to launch FileMaker Pro 8 and use the file menu to open the version 6 files. It is best to open them all as a group. FileMaker 8 will then create a converted copy of each opened file--leaving the original copies unmodified. Note also that if your FileMaker 6 files are protected with passwords, Filemaker 8 uses a more complex access security system. Passwords are each assigned to an account and users enter both an account name and a password to access the files. Your converted files will contain accounts where the account name and password are the same. That enables you to open your file with the original passwords, but also exposes them to anyone watching when you enter the account name. Also, passwords in Filemaker 5.5 and 6 are not case sensitive. Passwords in Filemaker 8 will be case sensitive. You may want to check the passwords in the files in the original copies first to see if/how they  might be capitalized before attempting to use the passwords to open the converted copies.

• 2. Re: Upgrading Filemaker Pro Server
            JoshuaKinsella

Hey PhilModJunk thank you for your reply

We are using Mac OS X Server 10.4 and I am lead to believe that Filemaker Server 11 is not compatible with anything before 10.5. Does Filemaker Server 10 still work with Filemaker 8?

Thank you greatly

Josh

• 3. Re: Upgrading Filemaker Pro Server
              JoshuaKinsella

My manager has just informed me that we already have a copy of Filemaker server 9

All i need to know now is the best option for replacing the previous version of Filemaker server (5.5) with the new version. It would be ideal to have little downtime but it cannot be helped if downtime is necessary.

Sorry for the late information

Josh

• 4. Re: Upgrading Filemaker Pro Server
                philmodjunk

First, search the knowledge Base (see link at top of this screen) for the minimum system specs for server 9 to make sure your current server can handle it. (when we upgraded from server 5.5 to 10, we had to replace our hardware as it just couldn't cut the mustard for the new server software.)

Then you will need to uninstall 5.5 and install server 9. (At least that's how we do it with newer versions of the software. You can check the documentation that comes with server 9 to see if it has any different info on this. There should be a read me file that comes with the installer.)

• 5. Re: Upgrading Filemaker Pro Server
                  JoshuaKinsella

Thats fantastic PhilModJunk thankyou very much for your help! Kinda got thrust into filemaker pretty quickly, but this should help me out a lot!

Thanks again

Josh