Upgrading from very old version without damaging existing .fp5 databases

BertGroeneveld

Title

Upgrading from very old version without damaging existing .fp5 databases

Your post

Platform: Apple

I want to upgrade my situation/configuration:

Currently installed:

Filemaker Server 5.5 (Yes indeed, very old).

Filemaker Pro (client) version 6.0Nv04

Is it technically possible to upgrade my situation/configuration to the latest version of Filemaker Server and Filemaker Pro (version 11 I believe)?

I mean, can I after the upgrade still use my relational .fp5 databases?

I heard rumours that I need to rewrite all code after such an upgrade. Is that true?

Who can shine a light on this?

Thanks in advance for any tips/help.

Bert.

• 1. Re: Upgrading from very old version without damaging existing .fp5 databases

Bert Groeneveld:

Thanks for posting!

You do not need to recreate your databases. You can convert your existing databases by opening them in FileMaker Pro 11. If they're relational, you'll want to do something called a batch conversion, which involves selecting all related files and opening them at the same time. You can find more information on conversion in the following knowledge base answer:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/750/

If you'd like to verify that your databases will convert as expected, you can convert them in the trial prior to purchasing.

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Upgrading from very old version without damaging existing .fp5 databases
            philmodjunk

When converting my own 50+ files from 5.5 into 10, I found that the conversion process was not perfect, but pretty decent. Be prepared to make some changes to scripts and such to get all aspects of your converted files working correctly in FileMaker 11. Scripts that use Perform Script to execute scripts in other files may not bring the correct window to the front after conversion--for example.

One issue not covered in the knowledge base article TSBear posted is that External Data Source References weren't managed well by older versions of FileMaker and you couldn't edit these directly. After conversion, you can. If you open Manage | External Datasources...., you'll find these in a format that you can now review and edit. Brace yourself. If you have a multi file solution, these converted external source references are often cluttered with an unbelievable amount of no longer used references--including some that may cause your files to open very, very slowly after you first convert the files.

If you get FileMaker Advanced, you can make a database design report of your file and use it to help you merge and update these references to get a simpler, easier to manage set of file references.

On a brighter note, Once you've got your converted files working, be prepared to spend considerable time working on upgrades to your system that weren't possible/practical in FileMaker 6. Wink

• 3. Re: Upgrading from very old version without damaging existing .fp5 databases
              BertGroeneveld

Hi Phil, TS, Thanks for your answers. The reason why I am as careful as possible is that I am not the programmer of our databases. The person who programmed it stopped working with Filemaker a couple of years ago. So I'm all by myself. I have little or no experience with Filemaker Pro (I do other cool things like Applescripting etc.).

While converting I guess I should accept the renaming of the file extension from .fp5 to .fp7? I have 5 databases that are relational. Hope they don't lose contact after the conversion because of the other extension?

If I run into trouble is there a possibility of sending my files to an experienced user out there to get assistance? Just in case something might go wrong, I mean.

Which software exectly should I purchase if I want 20 clients view and edit records in a webbrowser instead of Filemaker pro client? I mean, I don't need to purchase 20 licensies of Filemaker Pro, or . . ?

Kind regards, Bert Groeneveld.

• 4. Re: Upgrading from very old version without damaging existing .fp5 databases
                philmodjunk

There are consultants available that you can hire if you need them, and some folks might be welling to take a quick look at them just to help you out, but don't worry too much here. The conversion process produces brand new copies of your files while leaving the originals untouched. The new, converted copies should most definitely get the .fp7 file extension. On a windows system, they won't open correctly if you don't.

• 5. Re: Upgrading from very old version without damaging existing .fp5 databases
                  BertGroeneveld

Hello, I started the conversion and now halfway the process I am prompted to enter a username and password to access a certain .fp5 file. The problem is that I only have a password and no username ????  How is this possible? I mean how can I enter a username if I don't have one? Is the step to big? From Filemaker 6 to Filemaker 11, I mean?

Hope someone can help.

Bert.

• 6. Re: Upgrading from very old version without damaging existing .fp5 databases

Bert Groeneveld:

This is due to the account structure change between FileMaker Pro 6 and 7. You should be able to access the account with your old password in both the username and password fields. If not, check to see if the Guest account is active and Full Access.

TSBear

FileMaker, Inc.