1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 26, 2009 10:08 AM by TSGal

Upgrading from Windows Server 2003 to Server 2008

peterd42

Title

Upgrading from Windows Server 2003 to Server 2008

Your post

Hi Everyone,

Currently using Windows Server 2003 SP2, FM Server Advanced 10. Connecting to 4-5 large SQL databases from the server, and using Filemaker to show the data in a more user friendly format.

Has anyone had any experience with upgrading from Windows Server 2003 to Server 2008? I am really just asking if it is worth doing for any speed or stability improvements. 

Or would I be better to move the server to a Mac XServe? Do you know of any sites that have done speed comparisons? If not, I may end up doing my own if the upgrade seems worthwhile and let you know the results.

We use mainly clients to connect to Filemaker, although I have written a PHP interface. This is annoyingly slow but usable. 

Thanks for any advice. 

• 1. Re: Upgrading from Windows Server 2003 to Server 2008
          TSGal

peterd42:

Thank you for your post.

We do not have any performance statistics comparing Windows Server 2003 and Server 2008.  On this forum, I have not heard of any performance increases from those who have moved from Windows Server 2003 to Server 2008.  I have only used Windows Server 2003, so I am unable to provide you a subjective view.  I'm hoping others chime in with their experience.

Have you compared the speed between your PHP interface and FileMaker's PHP interface?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.