3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2008 9:55 AM by rmanook

upgrading/migrating from FM Server 5 to FM Server 9 Advanced

joshonefive

Title

upgrading/migrating from FM Server 5 to FM Server 9 Advanced

Your post

Hey guys,

Does anyone know of steps in migrating FM Server 5 to FM Server 9 Advanced on the same machine? 

I'm wondering if FM 5 Server needs to be uninstalled first, before installing FM Server 9 Advanced. I'm sure they use the same windows services and ports, so it's probably a good idea to uninstall first but I figured I would ask you guys first. 

Thanks, any response is appreciated. 

Josh

• 1. Re: upgrading/migrating from FM Server 5 to FM Server 9 Advanced
          rmanook

Hi joshonefive,

Thanks for posting!

You're absolutely right, FMS 5 does need to be un-installed prior to installing FMS 9.

In FMS 5, make sure all of the databases are closed and then stop the services.  Copy the the databases folder to the desktop and un-install FMS 5.  Make sure that the FMS 5 directory has been removed during the uninstallation process.  Reboot the machine and install FMS 9.  You can then place the databases in the FMS 9 database folder or use the upload assistant in the Admin Console.

FMS 9 introduced some new required ports.  For more information on these ports, refer to Knowledge Base Article 6427.

You can access the Knowledge Base here:

http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php

Please note that your FMP 5 (.fp5) databases will need to be converted to .fp7 format in order for FMS 9 to host them.  For more information on converting databases, please refer to Knowledge Base Article 750 

Thanks!

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: upgrading/migrating from FM Server 5 to FM Server 9 Advanced
            joshonefive

Thanks again turtle,

Our migration testing is going well we're pretty much using the steps you just listed. 

One other question: 

I notice in FMPro 5 client, when I open a file that is related to another that is related to another, it opens all 3. However, in FMPro 9 client, when I open the same file, it only opens the file and I have to go to Show window twice to show the other too. In version 5 they were open and already listed in the window menu. 

Thanks!

Josh 

• 3. Re: upgrading/migrating from FM Server 5 to FM Server 9 Advanced
              rmanook

Hi joshonefive,

Glad to hear the process is going fairly smooth for you.

Since you have just converted the database files to .fp7, the file references will need to be updated, too.  As it most likely stands, your current .fp7 file is still looking for the older .fp5 files which is why it is prompting you to locate them.

Try the following:

Close out your databases in the Admin Console.  Open the database(s) locally in FileMaker Pro 9 and update the file references in File > Manage > External Data Sources (or File > Define > File References if you are using FileMaker Pro 7-8.5).  Now, the database will know where the .fp7 version of your database(s) is located and will automatically open them up. 

As a note, I would recommend removing any dead file references as it can affect database performance.

Hope this helps,

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc.