1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 19, 2011 2:03 PM by philmodjunk

Upload onto Server file with links

ZaidaGudenus

Title

Upload onto Server file with links

Your post

I would like to know as I'm new to FM Server 11 if when I upload onto the FM Server a file I currently have (FM Pro 11) that has numerous links (referenced files) if that is going to break the links?  Will the file stay in it's current location and just be managed by the Server?

Also is there a way to see a referenced link's target location (path)? 

Thanks

• 1. Re: Upload onto Server file with links
          philmodjunk

when I upload onto the FM Server a file I currently have (FM Pro 11) that has numerous links (referenced files) if that is going to break the links?

What kind of files? FileMaker files or files stored by reference in container fields.

Will the file stay in it's current location and just be managed by the Server?

The file is physically copied to a directory on the server machine where FileMaker Server has been configured to host database files. This physical change in location could affect some file references (either external data source references or containers), if the original path is now invalid. Many file references to other FileMaker Files are "relative" to the Current File's location such as being all in the same folder. Such relative paths should not need updating when you upload to the server as long as all such files are uploaded to the same directory.

is there a way to see a referenced link's target location (path)

If this is a reference to a FileMaker File, open manage external data sources and you'll be able to see and edit all sudh references. IF this is a container field, you can use one of the following to see the file path as well as other data stored into the container field:

1. Use GetASText ( ContainerField ) in FileMaker Advanced's Data viewer.
          2. Use GetASText ( ContainerField ) in a show custom dialog script step
          3. Define a calculation field set to return text. Put the name of the container field as the sole term in the calculation. Now place this new field next to the container field and size it long enough to read multiplelines of text. (You can click into the field to see all the data if some has been clipped.)