2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2010 12:36 PM by philmodjunk

User restrictions and audit trail

DavidRBooth

Title

User restrictions and audit trail

Your post

Hi folks... being a Filemaker newbie, and IT challenged, could you let me know if it is possible to limit users to only enter new data without being able to change or delete existing data fields.  Even if this means a record cannot be updated withput higher user access?  Also, does Fileamker Pro Server allow for an audit trail to see changes and deletions made in acse there is a need to back track for audit purposes in the event of discrepancies?  Any feedback and help would be much appreciated.   We seem to be getting records altered and deleted by accident - I think users are concerned only have data entry access levels.

David

• 1. Re: User restrictions and audit trail
          DavidRBooth
             ting..oops just read Mods entry for posting questions ....  I am runing Filemaker 9 Server on Mac OS X 10.6.1... database are both served via netwrok and as web page. Cheers, david
          • 2. Re: User restrictions and audit trail
            philmodjunk

There's no built in tool for establishing an audit trail in Filemaker.

There are a number of excellent thread in the Using Filemaker section that discuss using access privileges to lock records against editing. You can use the advanced search link to search that section under "record locking" and see what pops up.

You might want to also examine your database design and any scripts that might alter values in unexpected ways or even delete records.

Possible culprits:

A relationship with the delete option enabled so that deleting a record in one table automatically deletes records in a related table.

Scripts that encounter an error that does not interrupt the script and lacks error checking. (Go To Related Record is a common cause here, but there are also other possibilities.)

Layout based script triggers that are kicking in at unexpected times such as when another script switches layouts, commits the record or goes to a different record.