2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2009 10:30 PM by allotrope

Using FM Server 10 for online registrations?

wondercat

Title

Using FM Server 10 for online registrations?

Your post

Hi, I'm a nonprofit administrator with experience using FileMaker, but I don't have a lot of IT knowledge. I'm trying to find out if FM Server 10 will accomplish what my organization is looking for. We need a way to be able to register students online for the classes we offer, and have their information collected into the database. We would like to be able to customize fields and take payment. I know that Server 10 has some web integration capabilities, but I'm having trouble figuring out if it meets those specific needs for us.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

• 1. Re: Using FM Server 10 for online registrations?
          rmanook

Hi wondercat,

Thanks for posting.

Hopefully, we get some feedback from posters using FileMaker in a similar way.  In the meantime, a great place to start looking at examples of similar solutions would be the FileMaker and K-12 Education section of the FileMaker website.  You can access this section here:

http://www.filemaker.com/solutions/k12/index.html?nav=solutions-k12

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Using FM Server 10 for online registrations?
            allotrope

Hi wondercat,

It can depend on a lot of factors but the first one that comes to mind is the number of students who will be trying to register at the same time. What size is your student body? Another issue is the level of processing required. Class scheduling can be simple or very complex. How many classes are being offered, # of subjects, do they need the student to have pre-qualification etc. This can also greatly affect the number of concurent transactions. Unfortunately FMS 10 still can't be load balanced easily and you are limited to a maximum of 3 boxes (data server; web publishing; web server) - that said with today's affordable octo cores and fast RAIDs they can go a long way. The throughput of your internet connection can also affect the number of connections.

That said, unless you're a large non profit organization, FMS should be able to do the job.