4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2011 1:39 PM by omamed

Using Server to auto update clients?

omamed

Title

Using Server to auto update clients?

Your post

I can't seem to find a clear way to determine if I can update clients by using the FM Server in some way.  It would appear so, but I cannot find documentation.  Is there a way to notify clients of an available update, and have them DL and Install it themselves from the FM Server?  Any help in pointing me to documentation or a forum article would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Using Server to auto update clients?
          TSDuck

Hi omamed:

Thanks for posting.

Using FileMaker Server, as an administrator you can do some administrative functions from the admin console.  The admin console client section allows you the ability to view details on each connected user, send messages, and disconnect clients.  This would allow you to send a message to each user letting them know an update has been released for FileMaker.  This function is performed by logging into the admin console as an administrator.  Under the administration section on the left side of the console, select clients.  In the clients window, you can choose send message to all clients under the actions drop down, then hit perform action.  This is documented in the FileMaker Server 11 Help guide on page 82 in the Administering clients section and found at http://www.filemaker.com/support/product/docs/fms/fms11_help.pdf.

The client administration in FileMaker Server cannot propagate an update to FileMaker Pro clients.  On the client end, you can set FileMaker Pro to notify users when an update is available.  In Windows, under the edit menu go to preferences, then make sure notify me when an update is available is checked off.  On Macintosh, this option is found under the FileMaker Pro menu under preferences.  Once enabled, clients will display a prompt asking the user to download the latest update when it is released by FileMaker.

TSDuck

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Using Server to auto update clients?
            omamed

I note however, in Preferences, under Plug-Ins, that there is a choice called AutoUpdate. The information when the plug-in is highlighted suggests that FileMaker Pro can download updates from FileMaker Server.  But the configure button is greyed out.  What is that for then?  And thank you for the assistance thus far!

• 3. Re: Using Server to auto update clients?
              TSDuck

omamed:

The Auto Update listed under plug-ins is used by FileMaker Pro for downloading plug-ins from FileMaker Server.  This plug-in simply checks that FileMaker Pro clients have the most current plug-in software installed.  It is executed in user defined scripts that include the Auto Update function.  You can find further information on this plug-in from the FileMaker Server 11 guide to updating plug-ins found at the following link http://www.filemaker.com/support/product/docs/fms/fms11_autoupdate_en.pdf starting on page 5.  In this guide it will further explain Auto Update functions and provide an example script that uses Auto Update.

TSDuck

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Using Server to auto update clients?
                omamed

Thanks.  I'm confusing the different "updates".  One for auto update of plug-ins... and the one I thought (hoped?) it was... for FM Client auto updates.  Thanks for your help TSDuck!