2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2013 9:31 AM by Dave_3

Using SQL through PHP to FMpro 11v3 Server, with special characters ?

Dave_3

Title

Using SQL through PHP to FMpro 11v3 Server, with special characters ?

Your post

Hi All,

I am not a FileMaker user (at least since version 3).

I am attempting to connect to our company's FileMaker Pro server from our web server (Running on Windows Server 2010 with IIS, but also testing locally on Windows 7 with Apache too). I am using the FileMaker xDBC drivers (11.3.81) .

I have written my code in PHP. Saved as UTF8.

I can successfully connect and construct SQL queries to FileMaker and receive data back.

BUT, I simply cannot get FileMaker to reply to any query where I am looking for a special character in a field. I know that the value exists in my database. As I am using German data it is essential I can construct queries on, and find fields that contain special characters.

An example of my code is :

SELECT "Acronym Original", Originalsprache, Kategorie, Status, Veraltet FROM "Terminologie d_f_e" WHERE "Acronym Original" IS NOT NULL AND "Status"='freigegeben' AND LOWER("Acronym Original") LIKE 'öa%' ORDER BY LOWER("Acronym Original")

I have the value : ÖA in a field. I get no results back. I also checked without transforming to lower case, it does not return any value. And also tested with changing LIKE to ='öa' and ='ÖA' with no results. This code works for all other normal characters. The SQL string is created using UTF8.

Is this a limitation of the xDBC driver, or am I doing something wrong ?

Many thanks for any feedback. Hit a dead end with this.

Dave

• 1. Re: Using SQL through PHP to FMpro 11v3 Server, with special characters ?
          Dave_3

Perhaps a simpler question ?

Is it actually possible, using the xDBC drivers to connect to FileMaker and do a search on a database field that will contain special characters (German language mostly, but also French, Swedish etc.)?

Like this :

SELECT * FROM Terminology where Acronym='Ö%'

And I have these values in my database for Acronym :

ÖA

ÖBA

ÖHB

I have tried DSN connection, DSN-less connection, using advanced language in the driver : auto, and then UTF-8 and my query cannot locate these entries - returns an empty set.

The user of the database can search from within FileMaker and finds these 3 entries.

Is it actually possible to search for special characters using the FileMaker 11.3.81 xDBC driver ?

I ran a test using my code to connect to a MySQL database and it searches fields that contain special characters with no problem at all.

Any feedback greatly received.

D.

• 2. Re: Using SQL through PHP to FMpro 11v3 Server, with special characters ?
            Dave_3

OK, I found a solution.

In my PHP files (which I saved as UTF-8) I had these statements at the top :

header('Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8');
                 mb_internal_encoding("UTF-8");

I was trying to keep all my working in UTF-8.

The trick I found was to actually submit the SQL string to FileMaker as ISO-8859-1 as below !

$sql = mb_convert_encoding($sql , "ISO-8859-1"); // Convert the SQL string being sent to Filemaker.

$rs=odbc_exec($conn,$sql); // Execute the SQL to FileMaker

And this was leaving the driver's advanced language settings set to UTF-8.

Hope this may prove useful to anyone else who runs into the nightmare that is encoding.

D.