6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2010 8:38 AM by TSGal

Variable Field Lists in Instant Web Publishing

Sez

Title

Variable Field Lists in Instant Web Publishing

Your post

Hello Team,

I have two databases.  On is a "log" of students coming into the health office at a school.  The other is a database that contains the names of each student in the school district.

The "log" database has a last name field that displays a last name list that pulls the data for the list from the last name field in the names database. This works great locally, and generates an "auto fill" type effect.  Which is exactly what I want.

But, when I publish the "log" database via instant web publishing this feature stops working.  Should it work?  Is there a way to make this work with IWP?

Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks.

- Sez 

• 1. Re: Variable Field Lists in Instant Web Publishing
          TSGal

Sez:

Thank you for your post.

With Instant Web Publishing, the browser is reading the information from FileMaker Pro.  Tabbing between fields in a browser will not send the information back to FileMaker Pro.  Therefore, you will have to force the Lookup by sending a command back to FileMaker Pro.  One easy way to do this is to create a button that executes the step:

Set Field [ <key field> ; <key field> ]

This sends the information back to FileMaker Pro setting the field to itself, which then triggers the Lookup.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Variable Field Lists in Instant Web Publishing
            scoops
               Is there a similar solution/workaround getting this to work with the PHP generated files?
            • 3. Re: Variable Field Lists in Instant Web Publishing
              Sez

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  However I've been working with this and I can't figure out where your code suggestion goes.  This "Set Field" command doesn't appear to be in the list of choices for calculation fields.  And the <key field> is a bit confusing as well.  Which database does it refer to?  The one being published, or the reference database?

Let me know what you think.

- Sez 

• 4. Re: Variable Field Lists in Instant Web Publishing
                scoops

Sez,

In your example, (in Layout mode) right-click on your "last name" field and choose "Button Setup". From the choices on the left, scroll down until you see the heading for "Fields", then choose "Set Field". On the right side under "Options", click the checkbox for "Specify target field".  On the next window choose the field you want to set, in your case "last name", click ok.  Tes it out in IWP.

• 5. Re: Variable Field Lists in Instant Web Publishing
                  Sez

First, thanks for the info.  I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I just can't make this work over IWP.  Works great via FMP, even through the server, but it just refuses to cooperate via IWP.  I don't get it.

Thanks.

- Sez

• 6. Re: Variable Field Lists in Instant Web Publishing
                    TSGal

Sez:

Sorry for the confusion.

1. In FileMaker Pro, pull down the View menu and select Layout Mode.

2. On the Layout, draw a box/circle that will be used as a button.

3. With the object selected (there will be four handles displayed on the object), pull down the Format menu and select "Button Setup..."

4. On the left side of the screen is a listing of commands.  Scroll down until you find "Set Field" and click on it.

5. On the right side, check "Specify target field", and a "Specify Field" dialog box appears with a listing of fields for the current table.

6. Select the "key" field that triggers the lookup, and click OK.

7. To the right of "Calculated Result", click the button Specify...", and a "Specify Calculation" dialog box appears.

8. On the left side, find the "key" field that triggers the lookup and double-click it.  The field will now appear in the large area of the bottom half of the dialog box.  Click OK.

9. Click OK again.

10. Pull down the View menu and select "Browse Mode".  You will be prompted to save the changes to the layout, and click "Save".

Now, when you are in Instant Web Publishing, enter the information that triggers the lookup, and then press the button.

You could also create a script with the following command:

Set Field [ <key field> ; <key field> ]

... and then attach that script to the button.

Does this make sense?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.