2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2014 10:24 PM by Markus Schneider

VERY EASY:  Syncing two computers, 1 database.

DavidAbalin

Title

VERY EASY:  Syncing two computers, 1 database.

Your post

IHi all,

I'm relatively new to and I haven't found a clear cut solution, but my issue is that I would like to simply synchronize two computers together, and it doesn't necessarily have to be updated in real time.

We work with 2 computers and would just like to be able to mutually have the new records we create.  We work on the same network and separate networks, so if there are different solutions for both please feel free.

I thought of something as silly as uploading the database file to a cloud service such as dropbox, but for some reason I don't think it's THAT easy.

I am seeking the SIMPLEST solutions, hopefully without a server (if it's actually possible)

Thanks, sorry for the noob question.

• 1. Re: VERY EASY:  Syncing two computers, 1 database.
          RickWhitelaw

Without hosting the file on FileMaker Server you will never be certain which file, or machine, is the "boss".regardless whether you use a cloud site or simply swap files from machine to machine you'll never really know if one file is in effect over writing data that is new in the other file. There are sync solutions out there though and you may want to do a search for them.

• 2. Re: VERY EASY:  Syncing two computers, 1 database.
            Markus Schneider

There are third party solutions that synchronize databases. Some of them may need a server. There are several methods to synk databases without a server - not an easy task, though..

- use of UUIDs

- create a file, a list, whatever, containing Your synk data ('payload')

- transfer the payload to the other machine, using url-scripting, http(post), email, airdrop, cloud, whatever

- start a predefined process on the target machine

- loop through the payload, determine what should be done with each 'record' of the payload data

one-way syncs are easier, btw.