4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2010 1:35 PM by becfms

Web deployment with OS X Server v10.6

Nickk

Title

Web deployment with OS X Server v10.6

Your post

Hi everybody,
      Before buying a copy of FileMaker Server 11 Advanced, I'd like to have some information regarding web deployment!

Currently, our Mac Mini (the latest one with OS X Server v10.6) is serving web, file sharing, printers, calendars, address book, dns and vpn services to the company's employees.
      I'm aware that FileMaker advices not to install FMSA if there's any web/file/printer sharing service, but the other server we've got is PPC so we can't run FMSA on that one.

And, anyway, FMSA will be serving a very little amount of data, so performance is not going to be a problem!

The point is... That machine is currently serving 2 websites with Apache, www.example.com and services.example.com .
      I'd like to know if it's possible to configure the server such that FileMaker's IWP will be working on database.example.com, possibly with an SSL connection.
      If it's possible, how can I configure the thing?

Thanks in advance for any help!
      Nick 

• 1. Re: Web deployment with OS X Server v10.6
          becfms

FMSA 11 allows you to set up the database in mulitple ways, using single, or multiple-tier server configurations. During set up, it will identify if you're running Apache (Linux/Apple) or IIS (Windows) and walk you through set up. Watch those permission settings for the DB files. Many "gotcha" problems can surface. However, with your Mac Mini having so many services running on it, be aware that if you have problems, it might be difficult to untangle and identify specific issues to correct. Mac Minis are cheap! Buy another another one and save time/stress!

• 2. Re: Web deployment with OS X Server v10.6
            Nickk

Thank you for your help!

So, you're saying that everything I need to configure can be done through the FMS installation system, right?

Does that include SSL?

I know that buying an extra server would be worth it, but I only need to give access to 1 database on the web with about 15 users at the time. The reason I'm switching from FMPA to FMSA is that with Pro Advanced I need to keep a user logged in for FileMaker to be open and have my database shared!

I don't think this solution would drain all the Mac Mini's performance, don't you think?

Thanks again

Nick

• 3. Re: Web deployment with OS X Server v10.6
              PointInSpace

If you don't want to invest in your own server hardware and software license, you may want to consider using a professional FileMaker hosting provider, such as ourselves:

http://www.pointinspace.com/

We provide the server hardware, FileMaker Server Advanced licenses, upgrades, monitoring, etc. so you don't have to - and the expense is fully deductible as a service vs. having to depreciate hardware/software over a number of years.  Feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions either here or off-list to jmay(at)pointinspace.com.  Thanks!

- John

• 4. Re: Web deployment with OS X Server v10.6
                becfms

Pretty much... but remember that your SSL will be configured through your Web server (Apache or IIS). In setting up my FMSA 11, everything seemed to be pretty much straight forward. I would make sure your Web services are  working correctly (including SSL) separately from setting up FMSA 11.Then if you have problems, you can isolate it to one system.

When separating out services on different hardware (or virtual environments), it's not necessarily about performance, it's also about configuration, strategy, reliability, and upkeep. Even if you have a small service, it's something you'll want your users to know can be trustworthy. Your one Mac Mini just seems to have a lot on its plate.