3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2014 10:04 AM by disabled_ntaylor

Web direct -- Slowness

Title

Web direct -- Slowness

Your post

I have developed a Filemaker Pro database hosted on FM Server, and I want to utilize web direct.

I am finding web direct's response time to be prohibitively slow when performing simple data entry. For example, I have one layout with a list of 17 questions for users to log in and answer -- most of the answer fields are radio buttons. The layout is extremely simple -- it has the list of questions with their corresponding fields (answers), one popover button that contains a portal, and two buttons with scripts attached (one to go "back" to a previous layout and one to "continue" to the next layout). See the attached image.

When I open the layout in the pro client, everything works just fine -- but in web direct, sometimes when you click on a radio button it responds -- and sometimes (really, most of the time) the computer just does nothing.

I have read complaints from other users about web direct. I am wondering what others have done to speed up response time -- either from the server, or from the database -- to make web direct work. 

I have also read on Filemaker's website that they recommend a two machine FM Server deployment for web direct. Before spending the money on this, I'd like to know if it will actually help...

My client wants web direct to work. I'm really hoping I wont have to disappoint him!

webdirectimage.PNG

• 1. Re: Web direct -- Slowness

Julie Doxsey:

Thank you for the post. 

"sometimes when you click on a radio button it responds -- and sometimes (really, most of the time) the computer just does nothing."

I am unable to replicate. I created multiple layouts, visually as close to the one in the screenshot as possible. I added new records, toggled the radio buttons, checked the boxes, and navigated between layouts. After about 10-15 minutes of testing, the computer's response to the clicks remained as fast as the beginning clicks. 

During testing, what browsers were used?

Currently "supported browsers include Safari, Chrome and Internet Explorer."

WebDirect is memory and processing intensive, so if experiencing slowness, then what are the system specifications for the computer?

"Connections are limited only by your hardware, database design, and operating system."

Technical Specifications

"I have also read on Filemaker's website that they recommend a two machine FM Server deployment for web direct."

If using 7 or more WebDirect current connections, then a two-machine deployment is recommended. Dedicating a separate computer as the Web Server with the proper system requirements will increase processing and performance. 

Additionally, here are two knowledge base articles that discuss various factors that contribute to performance:

General Hardware Considerations For FileMaker Server

What hardware guidelines should I follow to get the most out of FileMaker Server?

Settings In FileMaker Server That Can Affect Performance

What are the settings native to FileMaker Server that I should be concerned about in regards to performance?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Web direct -- Slowness

Hi TS Falcon --

Thanks for getting back to me. Answers as follows:

Q: During testing, what browsers were used? Currently "supported browsers include Safari, Chrome and Internet Explorer."

A: I am primarily testing web direct in Chrome (latest version) and Safari (also latest version). It makes no difference which browser I use -- in both, web direct is extremely sluggish.

Q: WebDirect is memory and processing intensive, so if experiencing slowness, then what are the system specifications for the computer?

A: My FM Server is running on a brand new Apple Mac mini. Specs: Dual-core, 4 GB RAM, Intel CPU, 500 GB HDD, 2.5 GHz...

Internet speed at the server was upgraded last week to try to improve performance -- there is a noticeable difference in speed when working from a FM Pro client, but web direct is as slow as it ever was.

Do these specs align with what you would recommend?

I have a follow-up question to your statement: "If using 7 or more WebDirect current connections, then a two-machine deployment is recommended. Dedicating a separate computer as the Web Server with the proper system requirements will increase processing and performance."

My question: Since we are slow with just 2 concurrent connections, a two machine deployment will likely not address the problem at hand, correct?

Thank you for posting the links to the the two articles -- I had already reviewed these prior to posting, however. I am hoping for some other piece of advice... do you have any further thoughts given my above answers?

• 3. Re: Web direct -- Slowness

Julie Doxsey:

Thank you for the reply. 

"My question: Since we are slow with just 2 concurrent connections, a two machine deployment will likely not address the problem at hand, correct?"

Having a second computer means double or triple or more available resources such as RAM and processing power. 

The purpose of a two-machine deployment is to increase the resources available to the FileMaker Server 13's processing components. Specifically, dedicating an additional computer to the Web Server, means those resources are only used by the Web Server.

"Do these specs align with what you would recommend?"

No. The specifications mentioned above are the "Minimum" requirements for using FileMaker Server 13 as a Database Server. See the screenshot below for the "Recommended" hardware requirements. 

"do you have any further thoughts given my above answers?"

My advice would be to provide sufficient resources to the various technologies intended for use, and if using WebDirect, then at least meet the recommended system requirements.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.