7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2008 6:26 AM by cpetrov

Web Publishing Engine Disabled

GuruDrew

Title

Web Publishing Engine Disabled

Your post

Hi, 

I'm using Windows Server 2003 SP2 with Filemaker Server Advanced 9.0.3.325<!--  POLLS  -->

WPE was working fine until a power outage killed the server unexpectedly. After restarting, the database server works fine, but WPE acts as if it is starting, then after a few minutes dies. Running the server deployment picks up that IIS is installed, but fails on the last step of configuring The error says:" Deployment/Configuration error -150 Starting WPE(wpe1) component failed: error code = 2500" I checked the Windows Logs but they don't contain any WPE errors. I've double checked enabled anonymous access in IIS with the user account IUSR_FRANSCORPSERVER. I have restarted IIS services, and cleared the Java cache but to no avail. I can see the default IIS web page from all computers on my network so I think IIS is working fine. I am guessing that some file has got stuck in a cache somewhere, I'm just not sure where or how to flush it. Thanks in advance for any ideas!!!

• 1. Re: Web Publishing Engine Disabled
          rmanook

Hey GuruDrew,

Thanks for posting and thanks for gathering the information.  Is this a single or multiple machine configuration?  I know that it is quite tedious, but considering the steps you have already taken, the next step for this issue will be a clean un/re-install of FileMaker Server and IIS.

That is:

1. Un-install FileMaker Server (stop services, drag database folders to the desktop, make sure that the FileMaker Server directory has been removed)

2. Un-install IIS

3. Reboot

4. Re-install IIS

5. Re-boot

6. Re-install FileMaker Server 

I apologize that we do not have a simpler resolution, but hopefully this will help.  Let me know how it works out.

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Web Publishing Engine Disabled
            GuruDrew

Hi ts_turtle,

Wow, thanks for taking the time to reply. I am running a single machine configuration. Your solution will most definately work as I have solved this exact same problem before in the way that you described. It's a pity though that such drastic measures have to take place to fix this error. If it was just a matter of a file stuck in a cache that could be deleted, or even a few files corrupted that could be re-copied, it would save so much time and energy.

I was hoping such a fix was possible as the actual database server and IIS work perfectly, and would have liked to save the problem of my users experiencing downtime whilst I re-install the server. I will keep researching this problem and post the solution if by some remote chance I stumble on it. We are constantly faced by this issue as electricity supplies are worse than attrocious where we are, and putting in preventative measures are both expensive and ineffective.

Thanks again!!!

• 3. Re: Web Publishing Engine Disabled
              cpetrov

I have the same problem on  Dual G5 Xserve running 10.5.5 workstation with 9.0.3.325,  both clean installs... as I upgraded from 10.4.11 as a clean install and then used the special filemaker 9 server installer as this is a PPC machine.

Perhaps an update is in the offing?

cheerio

cp 

grrrr

• 4. Re: Web Publishing Engine Disabled
                JonathanW

I am running into something very similar.  The "Instant web publishing" checkbox is totally grayed out.  This is encountered during a fresh install.  ODBC/JDBC enable box is grayed out as well.

It is FileMaker 9 server (9.0.3.326) running on Mac OS X 10.5.5 server (2x2GH dual-core intel Xeon).  Both are clean installed just a couple of days ago.

Any help is appreciated.

Jonathan 

• 5. Re: Web Publishing Engine Disabled
                  rmanook

Hi JonathanW,

Thanks for posting!

While your issue involves 'web publishing' I believe that your issue is a bit different than the one the thread starter posted.

If you are running FileMaker Server (not Advanced) you will not have the option for Instant Web Publishing or ODBC/JDBC; they will appear grayed out during FileMaker Server Deployment.  I believe this may be the source of your issue considering both are grayed out.

Let me know if you're running Server Advanced and we can start working toward a resolution!

Thanks!

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Web Publishing Engine Disabled
                    rmanook

Hi cpetrov:

Thanks for posting!  I'm not sure if we should jump the gun for an update *just* yet.  Issues with the web server can come from a variety of factors aside from the software so let's narrow down the list of possibilities.

Just to verify:  Was FileMaker Server 9 installed prior to the upgrade to 10.5.5?  Also, if you bring up a web browser and type in 127.0.0.01 will the Apache home page appear?  If not, make sure that System Preferences > Sharing > Web Sharing is turned on.

Let's try one more clean un/re-install of FileMaker Server 9 including: 

1.  Closing out your databases and copying the database folder to the desktop

2.  Stopping FileMaker Server Services

3.  Removing the Library > FileMaker Server folder (on both machines if this is a multiple machine configuration)

4.  Reboot

5.  In Terminal, reset Apache to default via: sudo cp /etc/apache2/original/httpd.conf /etc/apache2/httpd.conf 

6.  Reboot

7.  Verify the ports in Knowledge Base Article 6427 are open (Support > Knowledge Base) 

8.  Re-install FileMaker Server 

Let me know how it works out!

Thanks!

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: Web Publishing Engine Disabled
                      cpetrov

sigh... i do believe I mentioned this was a clean install of 10.5.5 and FM Serv ADV 9.0v3... anyway, i did it all again with 

http://www.filemaker.com/support/updaters/fms_9.0v3_full_ESD.html

and after removing the entries for

/Library/FileMaker Server/Admin/admin-helper/WEB-INF/conf/fmi-test.conf

/Library/FileMaker Server/Admin/admin-helper/WEB-INF/conf/fm-server-status.conf

/Library/FileMaker Server/Admin/admin-helper/WEB-INF/conf/mod_jk.conf

then

bash-3.2# apachectl configtest

Syntax OK

and

bash-3.2# apachectl restart

I was able to configure the WPE in the admin tool. 

Cheerio

cp