11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2011 11:39 PM by JimOswald

Web Publishing Engine Failed to start-WinServer2008R2

ghoffman

Title

Web Publishing Engine Failed to start-WinServer2008R2

Your post

It must be going around!

Now my new FMSA 11 installation on Windows Server 2008 R2 has recently failed to start after running for a couple of weeks. Web server (IIS) is fine. Database server is fine. I've uninstalled IIS and re-installed it. Following other threads here has not helped me. I'd rather not reinstall the entire FMS but I'm ready to if necessary.

I do see log file entries showing errors accessing "/fmi/conf/config.wpc" by the local host, but I can't find where that file should be located. A search of the file system does not turn up that file.

Any other ideas?

Gary

UC San Diego

Screen_shot_2011-08-13_at_9.48.15_AM.png

• 1. Re: Web Publishing Engine Failed to start-WinServer2008R2
          TSDuck

Hi GHoff:

Thanks for posting.

What is the processor speed and RAM on the server machine?

What is the exact error you receive from the admin console?

Are any web sites running through IIS on the server machine?

How many network adapters are running your server?

What FileMaker Server processes are currently running on your server?  You can check the services by hitting CTRL + ALT + DELETE and opening the task manager.  Click on the processes tab and find all the services starting with fm and let me know which ones you see listed.

Here are a few troubleshooting steps to try that do not involve reinstalling FileMaker Server.  First disable all of your network adapters, reboot, and launch the admin console.  From the admin console, select edit deployment and enable web publishing again. 

You may want to try a selective start up on the server.  From the start menu, type msconfig in the search field.  Open the system configuration utility and click the general tab.  Choose selective start up as the start type.  Enter the services tab and check “Hide all Microsoft Services.”  Disable all the services except Bonjour and FileMaker Server.  Click apply and ok to reboot with services disabled.  Once rebooted, test the web deployment again.

TSDuck

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Web Publishing Engine Failed to start-WinServer2008R2
            ghoffman

Here are some specs on my server: Virtual Intel Xeon X5530@2.40 GHz, 2G Ram on a 64 bit system.

There is one network adaptor and if I disable it, I lose contact since I'm not the manager of the VMware host machine.

No other IIS sites are running. The admin console says, "The Web Publishing Engine failed to start."

I uninstalled the IIS role and rebooted, then installed it again. Now IIS won't run because it complains that the web.config file in c:\inetpub\wwwroot is invalid. That file contains the ISAPI filter declaration to the isapi_redirect.dll in the path: E:\Program Files (x86)\Filemaker\Filemaker Server\Web Publishing\publishing engine\web-server-support\iis. This file, isapi_redirect.dll, is in place with a date of 3/3/2010.

I do not see "Edit Deployment" on the FMS admin console. Everytime I click on configure Web Publishing, I'm told to start the web publishing engine.

Does this help?

Gary

• 3. Re: Web Publishing Engine Failed to start-WinServer2008R2
              ghoffman

I just uploaded a screen shot of the IIS error messages.

Gary

• 4. Re: Web Publishing Engine Failed to start-WinServer2008R2
                ghoffman

Services running:

fmadminserver.exe

fmscwpe.exe

fmserver.exe

fmshelper.exe

fmswpc.exe

fmxdbc_listener.exe

Will try the selective startup

• 5. Re: Web Publishing Engine Failed to start-WinServer2008R2
                  ghoffman

After disabling all but Microsoft and Filemaker processes, I've restarted and IIS came up nicely, but FM web services cannot start. Error message is the same as before.

• 6. Re: Web Publishing Engine Failed to start-WinServer2008R2
                    TSDuck

GHoff:

At this point, the remaining troubleshooting is going to involve a reinstall of FileMaker Server 11 Advanced.  There could be issues with the current install preventing it from modifying IIS properly.  Please try these steps for reinstalling FileMaker Server.

1. Back up your database files, plug-ins, and shell scripts.  These files can be found in the following locations.

C:\Program Files(x86)\FileMaker\FileMaker Server 11 Advanced\Data\Databases\

C:\Program Files(x86)\FileMaker\FileMaker Server 11 Advanced\Data\Scripts\

C:\Program Files(x86)\FileMaker\FileMaker Server 11 Advanced\Database Server\Extensions\

2. Open the admin console and close your database files.  Stop the database server afterwards.

3. Navigate to control panel and uninstall a program.  Remove the following programs.

FileMaker Server 11 Advanced

Bonjour

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package

4. Navigate to C:\Program Files(x86)\FileMaker\FileMaker Server 11 Advanced and delete the entire FileMaker Server folder.

5. Reboot your server

6. Once rebooted, run the latest installer for FileMaker Server 11 Advanced.  It will also prompt you to reinstall Bonjour.

After the install finishes, go through the deployment and see if the web publishing works.  Let me know if it still gives an error, and what the exact error is.

TSDuck

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Web Publishing Engine Failed to start-WinServer2008R2
                      ghoffman

I've followed these suggestions and resintalled FMS 11. Now the IIS displays a page similar to the above, but it appears to dislike line 7 of the web.config file. I'm attaching a screenshot of the web browser's view of localhost. See above.

Now, as before, we don't have web services runnning.

Gary

• 8. Re: Web Publishing Engine Failed to start-WinServer2008R2
                        crmon123

GHoff, did you ever get this resolved? I'm having very similar issues as you are.

• 9. Re: Web Publishing Engine Failed to start-WinServer2008R2
                          ghoffman

Thank, Chris,

This is not yet resolved. I may have to do a clean install of both Windows and FMS. Doing them separately does not seem to fix it.

Gary

• 10. Re: Web Publishing Engine Failed to start-WinServer2008R2
                            crmon123

Bummer. Well if you do find a solution please post it. I will do the same. I read about this issue often enough, but I don't see anyone posting any real solutions.

Thanks.

• 11. Re: Web Publishing Engine Failed to start-WinServer2008R2
                              JimOswald

I am having the same issue. It was fine for months and now this. Do I really have to reinstall everything?