5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2009 10:09 AM by philmodjunk

what is the best practice for running a daily job as export script?

joshonefive

Title

what is the best practice for running a daily job as export script?

Your post

Hey all,

I see there are two script types for task scheduling in FileMaker Server 9: 

1)ScriptMaker Script

2)System-Level Script

I need to have this script run daily. I would like to have the script run a filemaker export script, then transfer that file to a network location. 

Any suggestions for best practice? Please let me know if this is unclear so I can clarify!

thanks, appreciate any response!

Josh

• 1. Re: what is the best practice for running a daily job as export script?
          philmodjunk

Exactly how do you plan to "export" the data? Filemaker gives you several options.

If 9 is like FMS 10, you'll need to set up a system-Level script to copy the files across the network.

This is roughly similar to the back up system that I am developing and testing for my system.

Schedule 1:  Use FMServer to back files up to local drive

Schedule 2:  Use VB Script to copy back up files across the network to another machine.

• 2. Re: what is the best practice for running a daily job as export script?
            joshonefive

I plan to export the data via FMPro 9 script. 

Could you not use a FM Script to save the export across the network?

I see you're using VB Script, I was thinking of running a batch job. 

• 3. Re: what is the best practice for running a daily job as export script?
              philmodjunk

joshonefive wrote:

I plan to export the data via FMPro 9 script. 

Yes, but your "export" can take several routes to accomplish what you want.

Save a copy as....

Export records...

You could trigger an Import Records from the target file to add records to an existing file...

All are FMP script options. The last one won't work in FMS 10 as a server side script and I suspect it won't work for FMS 9 either.

"Could you not use a FM Script to save the export across the network?"

Since I'm using a schedule, not a script to generate back up files, FMS 10 does not permit selecting a network drive as a valid path for the scheduled back up.

"I see you're using VB Script, I was thinking of running a batch job. "

A batch file should do the job. I started out researching how to create batch files on the web and stumbled onto the VB script option. Since I have quite a bit of experience with Visual Basic, I found VB Scripts to be much less cryptic. I hope to post the final script to a new thread here in this forum where others can then chime in with their examples. I've still got a few kinks to work out, (I just tested my script last night it didn't work for some reason.) before I post it.

• 4. Re: what is the best practice for running a daily job as export script?
                joshonefive

Hey Phil,

Thanks for the response!

Is there a way to set up a filemaker script to save to the server that data sits on? Filemaker pro is not installed on this server... does it matter? 

• 5. Re: what is the best practice for running a daily job as export script?
                  philmodjunk

If your script is server side compatible, it runs on the server much like opening your database with filemaker in a single user environment. Thus, you won't need an install of FMP IF your scheduled script runs correctly. I haven't tried any option like what you have described except the "import records" version. That's the only option that works for me and I can't run it as a server scheduled script. I have to run it from a client machine once a day.

Unless some else has tried it out and posts to this forum, you'll have to test your script and see if it works.