5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2009 8:29 AM by TSGal

Where to put pictures for IWP in FMS10 Advanced

Quincy1

Title

Where to put pictures for IWP in FMS10 Advanced

Your post

Hi!

I'm making a system for printed matters that I want to publish with FMS10 advanced and iwp.

I have made container fields with objects stored as file references. First I tested to publish it with FM10 Advanced and iwp – on another computer and with the objects in the right folder. It worked great.

When I  move it over to FMS and are opens it up in a web browser no objects shows. I have tried to move the objects to different folders without success.

Roger

• 1. Re: Where to put pictures for IWP in FMS10 Advanced
          TSGal

Quincy1:

Thank you for your post.

It sounds like your file references have changed.  Make sure the reference is made to the Web folder.

Please review Knowledge Base Article #5812:

http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5812

Let me know if you continue to have difficulty.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Where to put pictures for IWP in FMS10 Advanced
            Quincy1

Thank you for your reply!

1.  If I put the objects in Macintosh HD/Library/FileMaker Server/Web Publishing/IWP or in Macintosh/Library/FileMaker Server/Web I can't insert the objects into the container field In FileMaker Pro. I get the message  – "Can't open "XXX". (Can't find it)" (Translated from Swedish).

2. If I put the objects in Macintosh HD/Library I get the message – Can´t show this type of file as picture. It will be inserted and shown as a file. In the container field the filename is shown

3. If I put the objects underneath another user – for example Macintosh HD/Foto/Library – I can insert the objects into the container field In FileMaker Pro and it shows. But it don't shows in the web browser.

Regarding Knowledge Base Article #5812... For container objects stored as file references, your web server must be configured to support the MIME types for the kinds of files you want to serve, such as movies. For more information, see the documentation for your web server... I don't know where to look

• 3. Re: Where to put pictures for IWP in FMS10 Advanced
              TSGal

Quincy:

Thank you for the additional information.

Put your images in:

Library -> FileMaker Server -> Web (folder)

Install FileMaker Pro on the Server.  Launch FileMaker Pro, open the database file, and insert the objects into the Container field.  Do you still receive the error message?  If so, make sure you have full read/write access to that folder.

When finished, quit FileMaker Pro and relaunch FileMaker Server.  Your images should now show with Instant Web Publishing. 

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Where to put pictures for IWP in FMS10 Advanced
                Quincy1

TSGal:

Thanks for your help! It solved my "subject" but it created a new "subject" and a practical problem instead.(Should I click on the "solution-button"?)

I'll guess that the problem is the read/write access on the server. Do you think there is any way to change the read/write access so that I could administrate the database from my local machine? Otherwise I will have to run between different offices and machines – good for my health and figure but not for my mental health ...

My knowledge about systems and unix is very limited. I'm an graphic designer/publisher – mostly working with Adobe products – so therefore installations of our company's Macintosh's is made by an external company...

I have more related questions to this subject. It's about container fields and in facts it concerns both FMS and FMPro. Should I start a new subject or we can go on with this?

• 5. Re: Where to put pictures for IWP in FMS10 Advanced
                  TSGal

Quincy1:

If you can get remote access to the computer, you should be able to change the access to read/write.  Click once on the Web folder, pull down the File menu and select "Get Info".  At the bottom, there may be a lock.  Unlock it, and the under "Sharing & Permissions", change the setting for "everyone" to Read & Write.  This will allow you to save files into the Web folder.

I'm happy continuing if the questions are related to the subject.  However, please remember this is a public forum, and many users are browsing and searching the threads for answers.  Starting a new topic under the old subject would hurt other users trying to find answers, so if your questions are unrelated, I would appreciate it if you started a new thread.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.