6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2008 8:59 AM by Ralphxyz

Where to start? Using a Web Service to access File Maker server

Ralphxyz

Title

Where to start? Using a Web Service to access File Maker server

Your post

I have a project to access File Maker using a Web Service.

Is their any way to make direct calls over the web to File Maker or would I need to have a intermediate application (Web Service)?

I do not know what OS the File Maker Server is running on.

Thanks for the help,

Ralph

• 1. Re: Where to start? Using a Web Service to access File Maker server
          databuzz

Hi Ralph,

You can look into the various publishing options that FileMaker Server and Server Advanced provide, including PHP, XML, XSLT and xDBC to see if any of these will work with your web service. You can make direct calls via the Internet to a web published database using any of the above publishing methods if appropriate.

Regards,

Andrew

• 2. Re: Where to start? Using a Web Service to access File Maker server
            Ralphxyz

Thanks for the reply, this is getting strange.

"Apparently"

The server is a windows(2003 or 2008).

The File Maker admin(s) has not offered us any information about "how" to connect to their database which implies to me that they do not know how to do web connections. They do not want a web service running on their server so I can not use ODBC. I am leaning at just doing a HTML read and Post.

That is they would publish the appropiate FileMaker generated web page, we would parse the source grab the Value tags and do a POST back to the HTML <FORM Action URL with new data.

I am sue there are more elegant methods but I do not know FileMaker and do not have time or money to learn. We were hired because of our expertise in collecting data not in our (non-existant) FileMaker skills.

Are there any demo's or reccomended tutorials?

I played around with FileMaker about three years ago when it was first web enabled but never actually got it to work.

Thanks again for the reply and suggestions.

Ralph

• 3. Re: Where to start? Using a Web Service to access File Maker server
              Kundinger

Hi "Ralphxyz",

Take a look at this suggestion I made in response to another forum user...

I hope this helps you and any other interested readers... Good Luck!!!

Kundinger

• 4. Re: Where to start? Using a Web Service to access File Maker server
                Ralphxyz

Thanks that helps, now I need some references to:

"either Instant Web Publishing (IWP) or Custom Web Publishing (CWP)"

They were not adressed.

I do not have FMP available so I need web references.

Ralph

• 5. Re: Where to start? Using a Web Service to access File Maker server
                  Kundinger

Hi "Ralphxyz",

You can find documentation, recommendations, and "white papers" regarding IWP, CWP, ODBC, PHP, MySQL, etc. on the FileMaker website.

FileMaker Inc. has very good resources available but, you must read these with a 'keen' eye!  I have made extraneous assumptions after reading and had to reread the material to get clarifications.  The writers of the material create the content with a good understanding of the topic, the reader many times, is NOT in the same mindset.

I strongly recommend acquiring FMP to expose yourself to it's capabilities.  FileMaker has a 30 day trial for such.  You should experiment with the IWP... you may be surprised as to what it has to offer.  It may be what your organization needs.

Another option...  Bring in an 'outside' expert to 'champion' your cause!!!  I've had clients bring me in to analyze the merits of doing things one way versus doing things another way.  They respect my 'outsider' objectivity after analyzing their specific needs.  As an outsider, I'm NOT influenced by internal politics, financial motivations, etc.  You may want to approach the C-level management within your organization about the value of the 'outsider' expert.

I hope this helps you and any other interested readers... Good Luck!!!

Kundinger

• 6. Re: Where to start? Using a Web Service to access File Maker server
                    Ralphxyz

Thanks again.

Believe me you are on my list.

This project is at the specification "proposal" level now with the written proposals due next week.

Here is the basic outline.

1. Wireless mobile handheld unit web browser (customer)
                           2. Microsoft IIS web server/web service (us)
                           3. Windows FMP (serer/advanced?) (customer)

4. Our server will proxy between the handheld and the FMP server.

"If" the customer knows how to set up FMP for web access is the first question.

Once FMP is setup to publish/receive data over the web and they tell us how it

is configured we will need to setup the web service on IIS to communicate with them.

Thanks again for the replies and pointers, I remeber having the exact same feeling

about the documentation as you mention, it seems as if it is addressed to a user

that "knows" exactly what they are doing definately nothing introductory, or even

building comprehension.

Ralph