6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2008 4:45 PM by rbla

Where to store pictures?

rbla

Title

Where to store pictures?

Your post

I am using FileMaker Server 8 and FMP 8. I have a database file of products that is shared and resides on a windows xp pro machine that is our dedicated FileMaker server. I would like to add pictures to this database. More specifically just file references to the pictures as I don't want the database to get huge and I understand this is the recommend procedure.

Where the best place to store those pictures? I would like to create a shared folder where my users can upload pictures to. Is it better to create this shared picture folder on a separate file server or should I create a shared folder on the machine that is hosting FileMaker Server?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Where to store pictures?
          rbla
             Anybody?
          • 2. Re: Where to store pictures?
            Sorbsbuster

Sorry, rbla; in the absence of an expert chipping in: I've tried it both ways, storing documents and photos (for about a dozen users), and both of them worked spot-on for me.

Alan.

• 3. Re: Where to store pictures?
              rmanook

Hi rbla,

Thanks for posting.  Sorbsbuster is correct that either method will work for your solution.

In terms of which method is better I would take into account the amount of attention the uploading of the files will receive.  Just having a shared image folder on your FileMaker Server machine is not a problem; it would really only pose an issue if the shared image folder and the database folder were fighting for disk space (fairly unlikely but over time...). 

However, the addition of the uploading is now an extra factor to add to a list of things that may affect your FileMaker Server if the hosted image file is on the FileMaker Server machine.  For example, you could possibly experience a performance hit if a user is running a report while x amount of concurrent users are uploading x amount of pictures. While I'm unaware of your configuration or estimated users, the uploading aspect is definitely something to think about.  I'd hate to have you set it up one way with references and then have to re-import your images after moving them to the other server.

The safer route would be a file server if you had one readily available, but I would still think about the necessity based off of estimated usage.  Hope this helps.

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Where to store pictures?
                rbla

Sorry I should have listed my configuration. We only have 3-5 concurrent users. Only 1 user will be uploading pictures and it will be infrequent (about once a month.) Right now we only have about 100 pictures that are about 2mb each (for a total of 200mb.) We only add about 50 items a year so I don't think we will run out of space for a while. 

In this case do you think having a shared image folder on the Filemaker Server machine is ok?

I think maybe a dedicated fileserver would be overkill (and we don't have one at this point.)

• 5. Re: Where to store pictures?
                  rmanook

Hi rbla,

I think you should be ok with that particular setup.  I would just have the user mindful of uploading during any scheduled backups, reporting, etc. 

My reluctance was moreso aimed at a solution that was more demanding but it looks like the configuration you are running shouldn't pose problems..  Again, I think you should be ok and I agree a File Server may be overkill.  I am just of the mind of dedicated machines when possible. It is the tech support side of me :smileysad: :smileyhappy:

Thanks!

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Where to store pictures?
                    rbla
                       Thanks Sorbsbuster and ts_turtle for your replies. This really helped!