2 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2015 5:06 PM by BenKreunen

Why a specific list of SSL certificate vendors?

BenKreunen

Title

Why a specific list of SSL certificate vendors?

Your post

It seems somewhat ironic that our university has signed up to be able to issue our own certificates but we have to go out and purchase a certificate from another vendor.  I'm no SSL expert, but I got this from our IT guys when I asked them for advice:

If they were to make this generic rather than specific to a list of vendors, all they'd have to do is allow you to upload a root certificate authority certificate and an intermediate certificate authority certificate into any part of the environment that would connect to components that have the actual SSL certificate installed. That way the actual SSL certificate that is installed can be verified as valid, and you get your pretty green rich as per the documentation.

The Quovadis root CA and ICA certificates are at:

https://www.quovadisglobal.com/QVRepository/DownloadRootsAndCRL/InstallingSSL.aspx

You'd be using the Business SSL certificates I would imagine hence the root CA and ICA certificates listed on this page valid to that certificate type are the ones that would be required.

• 1. Re: Why a specific list of SSL certificate vendors?

Ben Kreunen:

Thank you for the post.

“If they were to make this generic rather than specific to a list of vendors, all they'd have to do is allow you to upload a root certificate authority certificate and an intermediate certificate authority certificate into any part of the environment that would connect to components that have the actual SSL certificate installed. That way the actual SSL certificate that is installed can be verified as valid, and you get your pretty green rich as per the documentation.”

Currently this is not a feature of FileMaker Server as designed; however, if you would like to see this changed, I would encourage you to enter this as a suggestion into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

These web form suggestions are monitored and read by our Development and Product Management departments where they are then discussed and considered for a future release. Although I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are some questions asked that only you can answer.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Why a specific list of SSL certificate vendors?
            BenKreunen

I shall add it in there. Still seems a bit odd that this wasn't included at the beginning. There must surely be a number of other clients who would have existing certificates from other vendors for their web applications.