7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2013 2:11 PM by Conrad

Windows Home Server 2011

Conrad

Title

Windows Home Server 2011

Your post

I am trying to set up 4 users, each running FileMaker Pro12 accessing their database, over a local network, on a computer with Windows Home Server running on it. I have installed the trial version of Filemaker Server on the machine running windows Home Server. It seems to have installed successfully, but I have had no luck in connecting a client machine running Pro 12 to the test data base on the server over my local IP network.

First question is will Filemaker Server run properly on Windows Home Server? If it does then what is the proper network path format to use. I've tried every path format variation I can think of but each time I use the Open Remote command there is a 15 second wait and then the file/host not available message pops up.

Thanks,

Conrad

• 1. Re: Windows Home Server 2011
          philmodjunk

Open Remote from FileMaker on the client machine should be all that you need to see a file hosted from server. If this were your own file, there are settings to set from File | Sharing, but this would not be an issue for opening the test file.

Use the server admin console to confirm that the test file is open and hosted by server. If it is, then there might be a problem with the server.pem file:

For More Information see:     FMP installer does not install server.pem file

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip

• 2. Re: Windows Home Server 2011
            Conrad

Thanks for the help.  I checked and indeed do not have a copy of server.pem in the C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 12\ folder.

I did review  FMP installer does not install server.pem file, but can't figure out how to get a server.pem file that I can put in my folder. 

Can you advise as to where I can get this?

Thanks so much,

Conrad

• 3. Re: Windows Home Server 2011
              philmodjunk

You can try re-installing as this file should be part of your installation. If you had another user who can successfully access the hosted file, you could copy the .pem file from their machine.

If all else fails, contact tech support. It is my understanding that they won't bill you for helping you with installation issues.

• 4. Re: Windows Home Server 2011
                Conrad

Phil,

Thanks for your continued help re this.

I went to a different Windows 7 machine and downloaded a new trial version of Pro 12 and installed it and it also does not have copy of server.pem in the C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 2\ folder and it behaves in the same way when I try and access a FM file on the server where the file is definitely open.

Is it possible that they intentionnaly delete this file from trial copies?  Could FM Pro 12 be putting this file in a different location?

I am new to this forum so am wondering if the FM staff monitors this forum and provides advice on things like this?  Maybe this is a bad week due to the Holidays. 

Conrad

• 5. Re: Windows Home Server 2011
                  philmodjunk

They do monitor the forum, but infrequently, much as I would like to see them monitor this part of the forum on a more regular basis. Hence my suggestion that you contact tech support by phone with your question.

• 6. Re: Windows Home Server 2011
                    Conrad

I called Filemaker and they were very helpful. Bottom line, its the Windows Firewall on the computer running Windows Home Server 2011 that is causing the problem.  Turn the firewall off and everything runs great.

FileMaker reps were not able to suggest how to fix this problem.  Does anyone have a suggestion about what settings to make in the firewall to solve the problem?

Thanks,

Conrad

• 7. Re: Windows Home Server 2011
                      Conrad
                      Problem solved.  Set up new Inbound Rule in Windows Firewall opening port 5003 and everything is working great.