6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2011 2:43 PM by TSDuck

Windows Home Server WHS IIS and FS11A Instant Web Publishing IWP

BSFWNY

Title

Windows Home Server WHS IIS and FS11A Instant Web Publishing IWP

Your post

I have successfully deployed Filemaker Server 11 Advanced on an Acer Easystore H340 Windows Home Server WHS. I have also successfully configured IWP and can see the FMServer_Sample database from a browser and internet connection. This file is also available on the LAN for clients running FM Pro when attempting "Open Remote". So, all looks good. But....

My concern is with the directory location of the database file and I am wondering if there is any variability for this. Here's the situation:

The Acer WHS comes formatted with the OS and program files on a C: partition that is 20 GB. Filemaker server is installed onto this, in the normal "Program Files" directory. Next, there is a D: partition that consumes the balance of the 2 TB drive. This is where "shared folders" are located. Contents of these folders are automatically backed up onto additional hard drives in the system.

I would like the mydatabase.fp7 file to be located in a shared folder on the D: partition for two reasons: 1). so that the 20 GB of the C: partition is not gobbled up by a growing database or multiple databases and 2). so that the database file(s) are automatically backed up.

The system has IIS and the contents of the Web Publishing folder have been moved to: <root drive>\Inetpub\wwwroot which succesfully IWP'd the FMServer_Sample database to the internet, but this file is located in the "Databases" directory for Filemaker Server within the Program Files on the C: partition.

My question is three-fold: Can the mydatabase.fp7 file be located in some other directory within the D: partition and 1). be shared accross the LAN for use by clients that run FM Pro, 2). be shared accross the internet by TCP/IP for use by clients that run FM Pro, and 3). be served via Instant Web Publishing?

If so, how then do we tell FM Server Advanced to point to the database.fp7 file?

Many thanks for your assistance.

• 1. Re: Windows Home Server WHS IIS and FS11A Instant Web Publishing IWP
          philmodjunk

You can use the admin console to configure server to use an "additional database folder". The path to this folder can reside on your D: partition instead of C. On Server 10, this is found by clicking "Database Server" and then selecting the "default folders" tab. As far as I know, you'll find this setting in Server Advanced 11 in the same place.

Warning: Don't make this folder a shared folder and don't use 3rd party back up software to back up your database files from this folder. Backing up open Filemaker files will likely corrupt your back up copies and a FileMaker tech here has warned that it can even corrupt the originals--though I'm not quite sure how that's possibile with regards to the original copies.

Use Server to make backups of your files to a directory on your D: partition and use your 3rd party software to make backups of those copies rather than your originals. (And neither LAN, Remote Filemaker clients, nor web clients will be prevented from accessing the database if you do not share the folder in which they are located.)

• 2. Re: Windows Home Server WHS IIS and FS11A Instant Web Publishing IWP
            BSFWNY

Thanks for this advice, which I have now implemented.

I have another issue with trying to open a database using "Open Remote" through the internet using a client computer running FM Pro Advanced. I am successful with being able to do this over the LAN and I can successfully see the FMServer_Sample database using a browser connection to IWP over the internet. Unfortunately however, I have not been successful with being able to "see" this sample database when I configure a "Favorite Host". I have tried both my homeserver URL and the IP address for the router as the host. By the way, I found it helpful to visit www.whatsmyip.org to determine what the IP address is for my router - and this is verified, since I can access my WHS home page using just the IP address.

My router shows that Port 5003 is forwarded, however, I am not certain that this is done properly. So the first question is: If I can see the FMServer_Sample database with a browser connection to IWP, does this indicate that port 5003 is forwarded properly? If true, then I am stuck and do not know what the next step should be. If not true, I suspect that I must delete the 5003 port forward rule and enter it again.

I appreciate any help you can offer with providing what additional steps I need to take in order to open the database with a client computer over an internet connection.

• 3. Re: Windows Home Server WHS IIS and FS11A Instant Web Publishing IWP
              philmodjunk

Have you Selected Sharing | Instant Web Publishing and enabled Instant Web Publishing access to your file?

• 4. Re: Windows Home Server WHS IIS and FS11A Instant Web Publishing IWP
                BSFWNY

Yes, all of this is set up. I am only dealing now with the FMServer_Sample database file that came with the Filemaker Server 11 Advanced installation. Once I conquer this one, I can move on to my own files. With respect to FMServer_Sample, I can open it over the LAN using the client computer and "Open Remote" function, I can view it in a browser over the internet using IWP, but I cannot open it over the internet using "Open Remote" on the client PC running FM Pro Advanced 11.

• 5. Re: Windows Home Server WHS IIS and FS11A Instant Web Publishing IWP
                  philmodjunk

Sorry, I misread your post. I'll bow out here as I don't know the answer.

• 6. Re: Windows Home Server WHS IIS and FS11A Instant Web Publishing IWP
                    TSDuck

BSFWNY:

FileMaker network sharing outside of your LAN requires using the correct external IP address and having port 5003 open.  Your previous post indicates you can connect using the internal IP address.  Most likely port 5003 could still be blocked from your host machine for external users.  Try the following steps to verify this.

On your host machine, go to http://www.whatismyip.com and get your external IP address.  Next, go to a client machine that is not connected to your LAN.  From this computer, open a web page and go to http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/.  On this page enter the external IP address and port 5003, then hit the check button.  This site will indicate whether port 5003 is opened or closed.  If port 5003 is still closed, then it may be blocked through the router, or blocked by a firewall like Windows firewall.  These steps need to be done from a computer outside of your LAN.  Let me know what results you get.

TSDuck

FileMaker, Inc.