4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2015 3:50 PM by GeneR.Gesilva

Windows Server 2012 R2 and FileMaker Server 14

GeneR.Gesilva

Title

Windows Server 2012 R2 and FileMaker Server 14

Your post

I noticed that the new FMP 14 now requires Windows Server 2012 R2 to run it compared to FMP 13 which only requires as a minimum, Windows 7 64-bit OS. I have clients running only Win 7 but wishes to use FMServer 14. Now they must install on top of their existing OS this Win Server 2012 R2. I watched a video on how to install Win Server 2012 R2 and it was frightening because Win Server 2012 R2 is very confusing! For example after the install, it will ask you what role you want WinServer  2012 R2 to do and there are many high tech choices to choose from which I am not familiar with and in this case I only want it to run or host my FMServer 14. I am not a very high tech person and especially not familiar with WinServer 2012 R2. Can you please help and offer step by step procedure on what to do after I install WinServer 2012 R2 so that my FMPServer 14 will run smoothly? Thank you very much. 

What_Role.PNG

• 1. Re: Windows Server 2012 R2 and FileMaker Server 14

Gene R. Gesilva:

Thank you for the post.

None of the FileMaker Pro (Advanced) clients need to install Windows Server 2012 R2, nor does FileMaker Server 14.0.1 require Windows Server 2012 R2.

FileMaker Server 14.0.1 is tested on all of the operating systems in the following article:

System Requirements for FileMaker Server 14

FileMaker Pro 14.0.1 (Advanced) is tested on all of the operating systems in the following article:

System Requirements for FileMaker Pro 14 and FileMaker Pro 14 Advanced

Additionally, before moving to FileMaker Server 14.0.1, I would encourage you to read this entire guide:

FileMaker® Server14 Getting Started Guide

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Windows Server 2012 R2 and FileMaker Server 14
            GeneR.Gesilva

Hi TSFalcon,

Thank you for your reply. Your answer gave me quite a relief when you said "..nor does FileMaker Server 14.0.1 require Windows Server 2012 R2". I am almost ready to install FMS 14 on my client's PC except for 2 other clauses I find suspicious allow me to state them. The first one is:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Note: Windows 7, OS X Mountain Lion and OS X Mountain Lion Server are no longer supported. Please update your operating system before upgrading to FileMaker Server 14.

And the second one is:

*Version stated is the minimum requirement. FileMaker Server may work with later operating systems certified by FileMaker, Inc. Operating systems not listed in the table above may also work but have not been tested and are not supported.

You see, first,  FileMaker is telling me to update to Windows 2012 R2 and the second one tells me Win 7 (which is a later version I am currently using) may also work but is not supported. I am not sure what "not supported" really means.

But anyway, since you said I dont need to worry about WIndows Server 2012 R2, I am going to ignore 1 and 2 right now and proceed with the install. Thank you again. 

Many regards,

Gene

• 3. Re: Windows Server 2012 R2 and FileMaker Server 14
              rachmon

Gene,

Just following up to see what success you have had with installing FMS14. Did you install in on a PC? What operating system did you have to use?

I have a new client who is wanting to use FileMaker but that was with the thought that they did not have to use a Windows Server and that the server could go on a pc, just like the mac mini.

They didn't want to incur the cost of the windows server and were hoping to use an existing pc that is available in the office. Please share your experience with installing FMS13. Thank You, Rachel

• 4. Re: Windows Server 2012 R2 and FileMaker Server 14
                GeneR.Gesilva

Rachel,

I installed a trial copy of FM Server 14 on a PC with WIN7 64-bit operating system and it worked without any problems. It was a great relief to know that I do not have to purchase Windows Server 2012 which costs around Php 45,000.00.

Regards,

Gene