6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2009 9:32 AM by TSGal

Windows server Client Access licensing

philmodjunk

Title

Windows server Client Access licensing

Your post

We're going to be acquiring two machines with Windows Server 2003 or 2008 strictly for serving up FMS 10 over the LAN. We will have up to about 15 client machines using FMP 10 to access the hosted files.

Do we need one Windows Server Client Access License for each client machine?

If we do, our upgrade costs more than double and thus we don't want to do that unless we have no alternative.

• 2. Re: Windows server Client Access licensing
          TSGal

PhilModJunk:

When FileMaker Server launches, it checks the network to see if that license key is being used by another machine.  If so, then FileMaker Server will not launch.  If you have two machines on the network, you will need two copies of FileMaker Server.

If you are doing this temporarily to set up a new server, you can download the FileMaker Server trial, as that gives you 30 days to test.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Windows server Client Access licensing
            philmodjunk

Sigh....

Good answer, wrong question. :smileysad: If you read the original post again, I am not asking about how FM server licensing works.

I am asking about how Windows Server (2003, 2008) Client Access licensing requirements work for a machine that is solely used to server up FMP files over a LAN. We'll have about 15 users. All my info to date indicates that we will need just the minimum number of licenses (5 CAL) that come with the standard install of Windows Server.

I posted here as one last check to confirm that my information is correct.

Given the difference in cost, I really don't want my boss to go out and purchase additional CAL's for Windows Server, if we don't need them.

• 4. Re: Windows server Client Access licensing
              MikeyG79
                 Why would you need more cals? Clients are logging into FMS, not Windows. If it were a terminal server, then yes, you'd need more cals.
              • 5. Re: Windows server Client Access licensing
                philmodjunk

MikeyG79 wrote:
                Why would you need more cals? Clients are logging into FMS, not Windows. If it were a terminal server, then yes, you'd need more cals.

Exactly my question.

I'm just checking in case I missed something in this as there's a substantial difference in cost and I'm dealing with a Boss whose behavior gets really extreme when I suprise him with unexpected costs.

• 6. Re: Windows server Client Access licensing
                  TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Oops.  I obviously misread the post.  Just to confirm what MikeyG79 said (Thank you very much by the way), you do not need any additional Client Access Licenses as the clients are logging into FileMaker Server; not Windows.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.