1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 14, 2013 12:11 PM by dbail22@comcast.net

Working with data on hosted files is so slow!!!

EvanStein

Title

Working with data on hosted files is so slow!!!

Your post

Good evening, everyone!

I'm new-ish to FileMaker.  I have a FMServer (brand new dedicated iMac) and a single user license for use on my laptop and on the server (one at a time, of course).

I designed a database to track products that I deliver to customers... very basic stuff.  Shipping, inventory, payments, bla. bla. bla.

The database file itself is only about 8Mb in size, and when I run it locally, first when I was programming it on my laptop and then on the server machine, it runs flawlessly.  But when I try to work with data remotely on my laptop (on the same local network... no Internet connections involved) or on my iPad with FMGo, it is UNBEARABLY SLOW!!!

Considering the whold file is only 8Mb, I can't imagine where the bottleneck is.  I could transfer the file back and forth quicker than I can load an invntory report consisting of 500 sorted records.

As I said, the database works flawlessly when it's run on the local machine, but when it's being hosted it's torture.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Evan

• 1. Re: Working with data on hosted files is so slow!!!
          dbail22@comcast.net

It might be indexed fields but that is a two edged sword.  Filemaker can find and sort much more quickly with indexed fields but when you connect remotely each index in downloaded as a whole even if you are not viewing that field.   Portals with conditional views. Script triggers that perform sorts on multiple fields can all slow things down.  While tiresome you should start with simple layouts and add your elements and then test.  Same with scripts that run automatically.  With 500 records it should be fairly quick but nowhere near as fast as with a local connection.