13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2014 1:16 PM by carmean

WPE COMPONENT: COMPONENT IS NOT RESPONDING.

rsmith11

Title

WPE COMPONENT: COMPONENT IS NOT RESPONDING.

Your post

We are currently running FileMaker Server 9.0.3 on a Windows 2003 server.  We recently had a power outage that shut the server down unexpectedly.  When the server came back online, the Web Publshing Engine will not start, giving me the following message:

Tue Mar 09 10:54:14 PST 2010 FMS ERROR wpe1

Some problems were detected in the WPE COMPONENT: COMPONENT IS NOT RESPONDING.

However, IWP, XML, and XSLT show that they are "ON" in the admin console.  The server seems to be functioning normally, and not received any user complaints (yet) about broken functionality. 

I've tried rebooting the server, stopping/starting services, but the error persists.  Any suggestions?

Thank you for your time.

• 1. Re: WPE COMPONENT: COMPONENT IS NOT RESPONDING.
          TSGal

rsmith11:

Thank you for your post.

Is this a one machine configuration?  Or, do you have the database server on one machine and the web server on another?

Assuming this is a one machine configuration, do any of the log files provide a clue?  If not, then I'd like to see your tomcat log files and any other web logs.  This may help provide a clue to the possible cause(s).  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - envelope icon) with instructions where to send the log files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: WPE COMPONENT: COMPONENT IS NOT RESPONDING.
            rsmith11

Thank you for your reply.  I've sent an email with the requested information.

• 3. Re: WPE COMPONENT: COMPONENT IS NOT RESPONDING.
              apwin_1

I am having precisely the same problems. FMS 11, Mac OS X 10.6.2, upgrading from FMS 10. I have checked the Apache log in Console, but am getting few clues. The log shows that WPE is starting, but nothing in the way of errors. As with rsmith11, the FMS admin console indicates that all web components are "On", but when I try do to anything with any of them I get the message that WPE is not available, with the advice that the WPE needs to be started first. WPE appears to start without error, except that the line "An error was encountered communicating with the server" appears directly below the Server Status Information in the Overview page.

This was all working perfectly in FMS 10. The only thing out of the ordinary reported in the Apache console log was that a number of Scripting Additions had been deprecated. I have now removed them, but the problem persists.

• 4. Re: WPE COMPONENT: COMPONENT IS NOT RESPONDING.
                rsmith11

Is there a solution yet for this?  The server still exhibits the same behavior.

• 5. Re: WPE COMPONENT: COMPONENT IS NOT RESPONDING.
                  jasonl

We are experiencing the same issue... after a brief power outage the WPE component is not responding properly.  

Receiving same errors and behavior as posted by rsmith11.

We are running FMSA 11, iis7, on windows server 2008r2 single machine configuration.

• 6. Re: WPE COMPONENT: COMPONENT IS NOT RESPONDING.

jasonl:

Thank you for posting.

Does the web publishing still function despite the errors? Is the Web  Publishing process (fmswpc.exe) still running? If this process isn't  running, it may help to manually restart the FileMaker service under  Start > Run > services.msc or reboot the machine.

A sudden power outage could corrupt the FileMaker Server installation.  You could close all of your databases to be sure one of them isn't  causing the Web Publishing Engine to crash, but you may ultimately need  to reinstall and redeploy.

TSuki
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: WPE COMPONENT: COMPONENT IS NOT RESPONDING.
                      philmodjunk

An uninterruptible power supply (battery backup) should be required equipment for any server.

• 8. Re: WPE COMPONENT: COMPONENT IS NOT RESPONDING.
                        rsmith11

Thank you TSuki. 

For me, the web publishing process is running.

To reinstall, is it a simple uninstall/reinstall, or are there additional steps required?

• 9. Re: WPE COMPONENT: COMPONENT IS NOT RESPONDING.

rsmith11:

A simple uninstall/reinstall should suffice in this situation. We sometimes recommend removing Java/Bonjour, deleting the FMS folder, or disconnecting the network cables before reinstalling, but that is only when you encounter other issues. As always, be sure to backup your Data folder in the FileMaker Server installation directory.

TSuki
                          FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: WPE COMPONENT: COMPONENT IS NOT RESPONDING.
                            melastudio

I have the same issue

But a remove (10) and new installation (11) didn't solve the problem...

All work erfectly but I can't open the fmserver admin consolle (OSX 10.5.8)...

Only a restart solve, for a while the problem

• 11. Re: WPE COMPONENT: COMPONENT IS NOT RESPONDING.
                              mbuissonwci

I thought I would add how I resolved this issue without reinstalling.

I was using Windows 7 Professional in a Single Server Config.

1. Rebooted Machine

2. Stopped the "Filemaker Server" Service

3. Stopped IIS

4. Restarted IIS

5. Restarted "Filemaker Server" Service

After these steps, the web publishing engine started without a problem.

*Please note that my instance may be isolated but it takes minimal effort and is worth trying.  My "server" :) was being staged for a rollover and was not on a UPS unit.  Yes... shame on me.  A power outtage caused the initial problem.

I hope this helps someone.

• 12. Re: WPE COMPONENT: COMPONENT IS NOT RESPONDING.
                                tineo

Same error here.

FMS 12.04 advanced - freshly installed on a brand new Mac Mini i7 2,6Ghz, 16 GB Ram - SSD - on latest version Mac OS X Mountain Lion with Mac OS X Server installed, physically installed in a datacenter with power protection and about 100MBPS of bandwidth.

Hosting databases without problems, having xdbc off but web publishing through XML and IWP activated.

I hosted this set of databases serving xml requests to a Rails app on a FMS 11 server for years without problems. Upgraded to 12 and started having the WPE COMPONENT: COMPONENT IS NOT RESPONDING - error regularly (about every week) requiring a full reboot of the server which itself caused other problems. Thought it was because this FMS server wasn't a fresh install but a machine that got updated incrementally over time.

I thought that reinstalling a new machine totally from scratch - in a very clean way with nothing unecessary and using only the latest versions of everything would solve it - but apparently not.

The funny thing is that the system sends and email at 6.38pm notifying of the wpe component not responding - pingdom.com which monitors the site sends its alerts notifying that the site is down at the same time. And in the FMS logs - NOTHING at 6.38pm - just the regular backup log-entries at 6.00pm.

I'm really needing some help here because I am not ready to receive those "site down" alerts every week or so and do those reboots all the time !

Thanks,

Cedric Tineo

• 13. Re: WPE COMPONENT: COMPONENT IS NOT RESPONDING.
                                  carmean

When I restart the OS X computer (after an update) I need to restart the Apache server in terminal (sudo apachectl graceful)- otherwise I get the 'WPE COMPONENT: COMPONENT IS NOT RESPONDING' error message.  Most processes (web hosting/FMapp Filemaker client access) appear to work fine, but I get the error and something is using the local computer name rather than the network hostname (authentication requests get sent back to non-existent location).

I am running Filemaker server 11 on a single OS X Mountain Lion client (not apple server).

After the Apache restart everything is fine, but it is so  rare I need to restart the computer I sometimes forget.