5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2009 10:49 AM by JuanValdes

Writing Data to Filemaker tables from non- MSSQL table

JuanValdes

Title

Writing Data to Filemaker tables from non- MSSQL table

Your post

I am trying to execute a ODBC write to a filemaker table using the Sequel-Link ODBC driver. This was not allowed in 9 but I understand it is alloed in 10. Has anyone tried this and how can I do it?

• 1. Re: Writing Data to Filemaker tables from non- MSSQL table
          TSGal

Juan Valdes:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Pro 10 comes with an ODBC driver that allows FileMaker database files to be accessed by other applications.  This allows other applications to submit SQL queries or statements to a FileMaker Pro database.

For more specific information, see the ODBC and JDBC documentation, or you can view it online at:

http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/pdf/fm10_odbc_jdbc_guide_en.pdf

If you need clarification or have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Writing Data to Filemaker tables from non- MSSQL table
            JuanValdes

We read data tables from Filemaker today. The issue is that we can't write to a filemaker data table from an external application. Since we are trying to collaborate with a business system that is built on ProvideX SQL, which is not ESS, we don't have the ability to directly connect to the data tables in the app. WHat we would like to do is push data to a filemaker table so that the filemaker connected table is always current but the SequelLink drivers won't let us write to the filemaker table. That said, we understand that is a feature that is disabled on the driver by Filemaker. Unfortunately it closes the door to integration with databases that are not ESS. Please help me unlock the driver, or help me get 2 way communication with databases that are ODBC compliant but not ESS compliant.

Thanks 

• 3. Re: Writing Data to Filemaker tables from non- MSSQL table
              FluffyBear

What you say can be done, but not a quick or simple task.  It require a very large amount of time.  I only work on the Mac side, so everything here is based on OSX Server for FMS as well as OSX for the ODBC Client.

What I've had to do is build an Objective-C API over the native ODBC C generic interface then synch with FM over ODBC.  It work, and it's fairly stable.  I can get regular data & blobs out, as well as put regular data in, have not tried inserting Blobs into FM yet.

If you want to synchronize two different system, you'll have to go a very similar route.  The FM ODBC interface SQL queries are a bit limited, and there's a few bugs here and there.  So for every query you use, you have to test it against FM,  you'll also have to change the structure of the program to accomodate those little things such as FM not having a LIMIT capability.

What you want is doable, just take about 2-3 weeks working with the native C ODBC driver to create an API and then additional time to test and program for integration.

Addition:  At least on Mac, it is not possible to use the ODBC that come with PHP as a way to quickly interact with ODBC.  That's why I had to work with native odbc in C, iif you work on Windoze, your luck might be better.  If you can get PHP to effectively interact with FM, then you can integrate easily.

• 4. Re: Writing Data to Filemaker tables from non- MSSQL table
                JuanValdes
                   I need a tool that works the way the website says it works.
                • 5. Re: Writing Data to Filemaker tables from non- MSSQL table
                  JuanValdes
                     I would like to correct my prior message, the driver does let me write but (Prudent rules, unix) must be used as a naming convention in the tables