1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2011 5:57 AM by charlesdespotopulos

[FM Server 10] When will FM Admin Console be fixed?

theboyk

Title

[FM Server 10] When will FM Admin Console be fixed?

Your post

When will the issue between FM Admin Console (for FM Server 10) and Java 6 update 24 be resolved? Does anyone know of a way of reverting Java to pre-update 24?

Thanks,
      Kristin. 

• 1. Re: [FM Server 10] When will FM Admin Console be fixed?
          charlesdespotopulos

I also would love an answer to this. Not being able to administer my databases is unacceptable! I have a lot of work that needs to be done and changing some things with my databases is very very important. 

• 2. Re: [FM Server 10] When will FM Admin Console be fixed?
            Ellis

Same here… When I talked to support I was told to downgrade the Java Engine. I told the representant that this was not an option as Apple in not proposing any downgrade of the Java engine. He basically let me know that this was not his problem.

I mentionned the fact that an update was made available to fix a similar problem on FMS11 but he could not give me any deadline on when this error will be fix for fms10; he could not even confirm that FM was working on the problemFrown

When I asked the FM representant what solution I had in order to administrate my customer's databases running in fms10 knowing that downgrading Java Engine wasn't an option, he answered right away that I had to upgrade to fms11

FileMaker attittude is unacceptable and this is plain blackmailing in order to force fms10 users to update to fms11.

I've found a temporary solution using a trial version of fms11. What I'll do in 30 days if a solution is not made available? I do not know but I may be forced to rely on other means in order to administrate my customer's FM databases.Sealed

I do not like to be dictated when I shall update or upgrade my software. Even Microsoft is supporting / updating the previous version of its software.

FileMaker, let us know when you'll fix the problem.

Again this is unacceptable!

Thank you.

• 3. Re: [FM Server 10] When will FM Admin Console be fixed?
              TSGal

All:

Thank you for your posts.

Oracle has acknowledged the problem, and we are still awaiting an update from Oracle.  All of this information is available via Knowledge Base Article #7937 at:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7937

A programming change in the current product (FileMaker Server 11) has been released and available as a download from the above Knowledge Base Article.  At this time, it is unknown if we will revisit prior releases.  For now, use one of the two workarounds suggested (launch Admin Console on another machine that has not been updated to Java 6 Update 24, or use the Command Line Interface) until the next update from Oracle is released.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: [FM Server 10] When will FM Admin Console be fixed?
                theboyk

Brutal.

Passing the buck to Oracle and not even committing to a fix for a single-version prior release — again, brutal. I'm sure I'm not the only one totally disgusted by FileMaker's blatant ignorance towards their (long-time) customers!

Regards,
                Kristin. 

• 5. Re: [FM Server 10] When will FM Admin Console be fixed?
                  charlesdespotopulos

I keep all my machines updated so out of the 200+ machines I have access to they are all updated. The command line is not ideal for somebody who has never used it. I have been a paying customer since Claris! I can't believe Filemaker won't update a prior release. I can see not updating FileMaker 5. But to not update one version before is just absurd.

I will be looking for another database solution.

• 6. Re: [FM Server 10] When will FM Admin Console be fixed?
                    TSGal

All:

The Admin Console is a Java application, and Oracle has verified the problem.  We programmed around it temporarily for our current release until a fix becomes available.  If Update 25 does not fix the problem, then we'll re-evaluate the allocation of resources for FileMaker Server 9/10.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: [FM Server 10] When will FM Admin Console be fixed?
                      charlesdespotopulos

Any idea when they will release update 25?

• 8. Re: [FM Server 10] When will FM Admin Console be fixed?
                        TSGal

chazlightning:

Update 25 became available on Windows at the end of April, and now Update 26 became available last week.  However, a Mac version is still unavailable.

Looking through the Apple Discussion forums and other users having problems with Update 24 (not related to FileMaker Server), I found the discussion at:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2789432?threadID=2789432

One post mentions that you can download and install previous updates at:

http://azlist.info/kj/support/

The file you will want to download is:

javaupd3osx10.6.zip

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: [FM Server 10] When will FM Admin Console be fixed?
                          charlesdespotopulos

Yes, but a newer version is already installed and that discussion does not say how to remove it. I tried to just delete it but it did not work.

• 10. Re: [FM Server 10] When will FM Admin Console be fixed?
                            TSGal

crazligtning:

My apologies.  The update will only work with previous versions under Mac OS X.  Therefore, this option will not work.

Also, I've been told by a senior technician that Java 6 Update 24 contained some important security enhancements, so you should continue using it.

There is a long thread that was originally moderated by "TSBear" of our online support team.  Look at the following link for additional information:

Unable to launch the application : FileMaker Server 11 Admin Console

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: [FM Server 10] When will FM Admin Console be fixed?
                              charlesdespotopulos

Unfortunately nothing in that link helps me. I just keep getting sent from article to article that claims FileMaker Server 10 running on Mac OS X 10.6.x has a solution. I need a fix for this now. I can not administer my databases! UNACCPEPTABLE!

Why is it so difficult to get a straight answer around here?

• 12. Re: [FM Server 10] When will FM Admin Console be fixed?
                                TSGal

chazlightning:

1. Currently, we are testing the Java 6 Update 26 for Windows from Oracle to verify this issue is fixed.  There is no update available on Mac OS X at this time, and we don't know when this will be available.

2. When this problem was first reported, we stopped development on other projects to find a workaround for the current release (FileMaker 11 family).

3. For FileMaker 10 family, there are two workarounds as outlined in Knowledge Base Article #7937.  They are use a machine that has not been updated to Java 6 Update 24 and run Admin Console from that machine.  If all machines are updated, then use the Command Line Interface.  The Command Line Interface reference can be found in the FileMaker Server Help documentation beginning on page 135:

http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/documentation/fms10_help.pdf

This is where everything stands at the moment.

TSGal
                                FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: [FM Server 10] When will FM Admin Console be fixed?
                                  charlesdespotopulos

Ok, thank you. I understand all of that. But the issue is that I keep my computers updated at all times. I have access to over 200 machines and they ALL have been updated. I have never used command line before so that is not an option. I looked at the command line manual and it makes no sense to me.

I guess the only thing for me to do at this point is downgrade my OS to a version that does not have the latest Java update. I will have to set-up all my users and permissions again. What a hassle. Who do I contact to get my money back for this product? It is clearly defective. How about a complimentary upgrade to FMS11?

• 14. Re: [FM Server 10] When will FM Admin Console be fixed?
                                    TSGal

chazlightning:

The Command Line Interface uses the utility Terminal on the Mac.  What part of the Command Line Interface "makes no sense" to you?  I'll try to clear up any confusion.

I have escalated this post to my boss, but he is not in the office today.  I'll get back to you tomorrow.

TSGal
                                    FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next