Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.
Please look for clues in the log files; especially the Tomcat logs and Catalina logs, as these track web activity.
I am having a similar issue but with a different twist so I thought I'd contribute a little bit....Mods please let me know if this needs it's own thread since this thread is labeled for FMS9 (I don't intend to hijack).
I'm running on Mac OS X 10.6.2, 2.26Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR3. Running FileMaker Server 10 version 10.0.2.206. At random points, clients that are attempting to access IWP timeout or the page just never loads. When I look at the activity monitor I can see that the IWP service is pegged out at 99-100%. Now, not sure if Dalzhim has this problem or not but when I attempt to access the FMS console it will not open and the its process under the activity monitor also shows close to 100% CPU activity. So, after this issue occurs my CPU is completely pegged out and so is my memory. This issue just started occuring just a few days ago, haven't done any system-wide updates or made any changes to the FMS software.
I am curious as we normally don't have but maybe 7-8 users on average accessing the system at any given time, obviously this number may vary and it's currently impossible for me to say how many people are connected when IWP goes haywire. Any suggestions?
This does not need its own thread, as it is related.
We know that 100% CPU activity can exist with custom menus. Also, CPU usage can be affected if there are scheduled scripts running. You mentioned this just happened to you recently, so either something has changed, or is it possible you just didn't notice it previously? (I doubt the latter, but I need to ask to be certain). Have there been any new FileMaker users accessing the file(s) remotely? Does the CPU activity ever return to normal after a set amount of time, or is it always pinned at 100%?
Since you mentioned that the IWP service is "pegged out", is there anything in the Web logs that provides a clue?
Any other information you can provide may be helpful.
Thank you for the response, although it looks like we crossed paths when I was creating a new thread since I wasn't sure. I did contact technical support regarding the issue and it was, in fact, log size and caching issues. Plus, the system could use a RAM upgrade just to be safe. I consider this issue solved, would it help to merge these two threads? Thanks again!
I just noticed this thread was brought back to life.
I'll try to take a look at the logs and see if I can find out any useful information.
CrazyIvan, how large was your log file for it to become an issue? And what about the caching?
The log file was at 40mb in size and the caching interval was at every 30 seconds. I increased the caching interval to 1 minute and decreased the log file size to 20mb, the issue went away immediately and hasn't returned. The system is only running 2GB of RAM, which is definitely a contributor to this issue so I do intend on upgrading the hardware of the system. Still having some weird network issues to iron out though, not sure if they're related to this issue or not (timing out, tcp errors, etc).
Thanks for the information. I'd never have thought 40mb was too large for a log file.
I'm pretty sure my logs must have exceeded this size with the years the server has been in production...
Looks like the issue reoccurred last night with identical symptoms so I ended up adjusting the caching interval and log file size again. I also had to move the old logs to a different location and perform a reboot. Looks like it's back to normal yet again, will definitely continue to monitor this, especially after a RAM upgrade to see if that will help cure this ailment. Good Luck!
I've had a look at the whole directory structure of my FileMaker Server and after inspecting every log file I couldn't find any suspicious entries.
As far as the file size of the log files is concerned, I've confirmed in the admin console that it is limited to 40mb already but I've also seen a 180mb log file in the path /Library/FileMaker Server/Logs/pe_internal_access_log.txt .
Still, I'm not sure which files I should be looking at...
Our issues may not be related then as my log files were growing in excess of over 50GB in little over a month with my settings set to a 20mb limit!! It was absolutely rediculous, it's like the settings were being disregarded or there was a serious bug in the system. Either way I finally caved in and restored my system to factory settings and limited what changes I made to the OS preferances after a fresh installation. I am reinstalling FMS and FMP as we speak to see if this will work out the way it should.