Summary

FM 12 Advanced Server Intermittent Functioning

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Configuration information

Mac OS X Server 10.6
      FileMaker 12 Advanced Server
      Firewall, etc. appears to be configured correctly.

Operating system version

Mac OS X Server 10.6

Description of the issue

New FileMaker 12 Advanced Server installation has problems with intermittent ability to produce the correct results using the web publishing engine interface with FX.php. Periodically, when querying a database served by FM12AS, FX.php will show FX_error "ExecuteQuery XML error: Mismatched tag at line 1"; however, other times the results will be retrieved correctly. When accessing the XML layout directly via the web, FM12 seems to return a 500 internal server error periodically.

Restarting the server does not help and each database is a direct conversion from a completely working FM11 installation. As such, the only change was the upgrade from FM11 server to FM12 server. Ports as far as we know are configured correctly, and the FM12 native client has no issues with connectivity.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Query any web list using FM12 and FX.php repeatedly. After the fifth time or so, you will get the error message for a couple tries then you'll get back to the expected result. There is no pattern to when you will or won't see the query execute correctly.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Partial FX.php Error Message (some parts have been changed that contain server-specific information):^M ^M object(FX_Error)#2 (8) { ["error_message_prefix"]=> string(0) "" ["mode"]=> int(1) ["level"]=> int(1024) ["code"]=> int(100) ["message"]=> string(52) "FX: ExecuteQuery XML error: Mismatched tag at line 1" ["userinfo"]=> NULL ["backtrace"]=> array(4) { [0]=> array(7) { ["file"]=> string(30) "/phplib/FX/FX.php" ["line"]=> int(1363) ["function"]=> string(8) "FX_Error" ["class"]=> string(8) "FX_Error" ["object"]=> object(FX_Error)#2 (8) { ["error_message_prefix"]=> string(0) "" ["mode"]=> int(1) ["level"]=> int(1024) ["code"]=> int(100) ["message"]=> string(52) "FX: ExecuteQuery XML error: Mismatched tag at line 1" ["userinfo"]=> NULL ["backtrace"]=> array(4) { [0]=> array(7) { ["file"]=> string(30) "/phplib/FX/FX.php" ["line"]=> int(1363) ["function"]=> string(8) "FX_Error" ["class"]=> string(8) "FX_Error" ["object"]=> *RECURSION* ["type"]=> string(2) "->" ["args"]=> array(1) { [0]=> string(48) "ExecuteQuery XML error: Mismatched tag at line 1" } } [1]=> array(7) { ["file"]=> string(30) "/phplib/FX/FX.php" ["line"]=> int(1530) ["function"]=> string(12) "ExecuteQuery" ["class"]=> string(2) "FX" ["object"]=> object(FX)#1 (58) { ["dataServer"]=> string(17) "myserver.test.com" ["dataServerType"]=> string(6) "FMPro7" ["dataPort"]=> string(2) "80" ["dataPortSuffix"]=> string(3) ":80" ["urlScheme"]=> string(4) "http" ["database"]=> string(14) "mydatabase.fmp12" ["layout"]=> string(9) "my_list" ["responseLayout"]=> string(0) "" ["groupSize"]=> string(3) "100" ["currentSkip"]=> int(0) ["defaultOperator"]=> string(2) "bw" ["dataParams"]=> array(1) { [0]=> array(3) { ["name"]=> string(7) "orgtype" ["value"]=> string(8) "business" ["op"]=> string(0) "" } } ["sortParams"]=> array(4) { [1]=> array(2) { ["field"]=> string(11) "county_sort" ["sortOrder"]=> string(6) "ascend" } [2]=> array(2) { ["field"]=> string(13) "district_sort" ["sortOrder"]=> string(6) "ascend" } [3]=> array(2) { ["field"]=> string(12) "businessname" ["sortOrder"]=> string(6) "ascend" } [4]=> array(2) { ["field"]=> string(10) "department" ["sortOrder"]=> string(6) "ascend" } } ["primaryKeyField"]=> string(0) "" ["modifyDateField"]=> string(0) "" ["dataKeySeparator"]=> string(0) "" ["fuzzyKeyLogic"]=> bool(false) ["genericKeys"]=> bool(false) ["selectColsSet"]=> bool(false) ["selectColumns"]=> string(0) "" ["fieldInfo"]=> array(0) { } ["currentData"]=> array(0) { } ["valueLists"]=> array(0) { } ["totalRecordCount"]=> int(-1) ["foundCount"]=> int(-1) ["dateFormat"]=> string(0) "" ["timeFormat"]=> string(0) "" ["dataURL"]=> string(300) "http://myserver.test.com:80/fmi/xml/FMPXMLRESULT.xml?-db=mydatabase.fmp12&-lay=my_list&-max=100&-find" ["dataURLParams"]=> string(247) "-db=mydatabase.fmp12&-lay=my_list&-max=100&-find" ["dataQuery"]=> string(0) "" ["charSet"]=> string(0) "" ["dataParamsEncoding"]=> string(0) "" ["currentFlag"]=> string(0) "" ["currentRecord"]=> string(0) "" ["currentField"]=> string(0) "" ["currentValueList"]=> string(0) "" ["fieldCount"]=> int(0) ["columnCount"]=> int(-1) ["fxError"]=> string(15) "No Action Taken" ["errorTracking"]=> int(0) ["useInnerArray"]=> bool(true) ["DBUser"]=> string(2) "FX" ["DBPassword"]=> string(0) "" ["userPass"]=> string(0) "" ["defaultPostPolicy"]=> bool(true) ["isPostQuery"]=> bool(true) ["useCURL"]=> bool(true) ["lastLinkPrevious"]=> string(0) "" ["lastLinkNext"]=> string(0) "" ["lastFoundCount"]=> int(-2) ["lastFields"]=> array(0) { } ["lastURL"]=> string(0) "" ["lastQuery"]=> string(0) "" ["lastErrorCode"]=> int(-2) ["lastValueLists"]=> array(0) { } ["invalidXMLChars"]=> array(3) { [0]=> string(1) "^K" [1]=> string(1) "^L" [2]=> string(1) "^R" } ["UTF8SpecialChars"]=> array(6) { [0]=> string(17) "|([Â-ß])([€-¿])|e" [1]=> string(20) "|(à)([ -¿])([€-¿])|e" [2]=> string(24) "|([á-ï])([€-¿])([€-¿])|e" [3]=> string(27) "|(ð)([<90>-¿])([€-¿])([€-¿])|e" [4]=> string(31) "|([ñ-ó])([€-¿])([€-¿])([€-¿])|e" [5]=> string(27) "|(ô)([€-<8f>])([€-¿])([€-¿])|e" } ["UTF8HTMLEntities"]=> array(6) { [0]=> string(35) "$this->BuildExtendedChar('\1','\2')" [1]=> string(40) "$this->BuildExtendedChar('\1','\2','\3')" [2]=> string(40) "$this->BuildExtendedChar('\1','\2','\3')" [3]=> string(45) "$this->BuildExtendedChar('\1','\2','\3','\4')" [4]=> string(45) "$this->BuildExtendedChar('\1','\2','\3','\4')" [5]=> string(45) "$this->BuildExtendedChar('\1','\2','\3','\4')" } } ["type"]=> string(2) "->" ["args"]=> array(1) { [0]=> string(5) "-find" } } ^M ^M The remainder of the error message is a repeat of the above.

Workaround

FM11 using the same configuration has no issues. Only 12 experiences this connectivity issue.

• 1. Re: FM 12 Advanced Server Intermittent Functioning
          TSGal

David Gill:

Thank you for your post.

FX.php is not a file that FileMaker Pro generates.  Doing a quick internet search, there is a FX.php file supplied by iViking.org, but the last update was three months ago prior to the release of FileMaker Pro 12, so it very well could be an incompatibility.  Please contact Chris Hansen, the author of FX.php via his web site at:

http://www.iviking.org/

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM 12 Advanced Server Intermittent Functioning
            compudav

Hi TSGal,

Thank you for your response. I appreciate you taking the time to look at this matter in more detail. We will certainly look on our end into the compatibility with FX.php as it definitely may have some small issues with FM12. However, this doesn't explain the intermittent failing behavior we've noticed.

Upon further investigation, I have discovered that the oscillating failure appears to be related to FM12 periodically giving a 500 server error when serving the DTD file or serving the FMPXMLRESULT.xml file. This can be seen using W3's own XML validator at http://validator.w3.org (for security reasons, I won't post the complete link with the server information - please contact me in private, if there's a way, if you feel it would help).

When pointing this tool at our server's FMPXMLRESULT.xml file directly, either the DTD file or XML document itself will have a 500 error periodically. In fact, using a randomized trial of 30 refreshes, I had the following count:

19 Passed the XML validation (i.e. everything was good, the FileMaker server returned the correct, expected response)

6 had an internal server 500 error when serving the DTD file

5 had an internal server 500 error when serving the base XML file

So less than 66% of the queries execute correctly. The other 33%+ will die due to a server 500 error. We have no idea what could be causing this error as we have never had it on our FM11 installation. The Apache logs reveal nothing suspicious as well.

Thank you once again for any and all help you can provide!

David

• 3. Re: FM 12 Advanced Server Intermittent Functioning
              TSGal

David Gill:

After talking this over with another Support Technician, we are stumped, and we have sent your posts to our Testing department for additional guidance how to proceed next.  I will contact you when I receive some feedback.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FM 12 Advanced Server Intermittent Functioning
                compudav

Hi TSGal,

Thank you for your response and for taking the time to look into this. We appreciate any and all help as it is equally puzzling for us as well. 

I would like to also note that we do not have instant web publishing turned on so this shouldn't be interfering with the ability to serve the XML pages. Also, there doesn't seem to be anything erroneous in Apache (I'm assuming FM uses the web server as the foundation for serving the XML requests). Whatever is causing this behavior is new to me. There is nothing else running on it and the only other thing we use the server for is VNC (to administer remotely). FileMaker 11 was running on the same machine without any difficulties, before it needed to be wiped and loaded fresh with FM12.

Once again, thanks for continuing to help with this perplexing problem and if there's anything I can provide you with, please don't hesitate to let me know!

David

• 5. Re: FM 12 Advanced Server Intermittent Functioning
                  TSGal

David Gill:

Our Testing department is looking over your log files, but they also requested a sample database file and a sample PHP file and/or XML query they can use to reproduce the issue.  Use the previous instructions in the private message to send these files.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FM 12 Advanced Server Intermittent Functioning
                    compudav

Hi TSGal,

Thank you for your response.

I have sent the requested information privately. Please take a look at it at your earliest convenience.

Once again, I appreciate any help you can provide!

David

• 7. Re: FM 12 Advanced Server Intermittent Functioning
                      TSGal

David Gill:

Testing has looked over your information, and they still have a couple of questons.  Do regular XML queries that use port 80 work?  Or, is it just XML queries from PHP?  Although you are not using Instant Web Publishing, can you see if this works over port 80?

Testing also wanted to point out that the Getting Started Guide says "port 16020 must be available on the machine, but not open in the firewall".  In other words, it is not recommended to keep port 16020 open in the firewall.

Please check your Inbox at the top of this page for additional information.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FM 12 Advanced Server Intermittent Functioning
                        user14197

TSGal:

I am experiencing similar FM Server 12 issues as David Gill.

I use ../fmi/iwp/cgi?-authinfo to confirm that the prior session was closed.

At times, I get the proper authinfo response for a closed session, which is [authinfo = {realm: '', guest: 'yes', retrycount: '0', dbpath: ''};] (sq brackets excluded)

At other times (and I cant predict it), I get a js popup box with "Internal Server Error".

It also seems like the error does not depend on the last session.  I say this because when I start seeing the error with ie, I will sometimes, but not always, see the error with firefox.

The Server has been updated to the curent version and is running on IIS.  I checked the firewall and port 16020 is not visible.

The error does appear in the Server Log for module Web Publishing Core.  The error reads:

'(ip address) - - "/fmi/iwp/cgi?-authinfo" 500 10184'

What is the best way to track the status of this error?

Thanks,

CCB

• 9. Re: FM 12 Advanced Server Intermittent Functioning
                          TSGal

Campbell Burgess:

Thank you for your post.

This problem was fixed in FileMaker Server 12v2.  However, as discovered with "David Gill", if you updated from FileMaker Server 12v1 to 12v2, then the files in the folder:

FileMaker Server > Web Publishing > publishing-engine > jwpc-tomcat > fmi

are not updated.  If you remove this folder, then the file can be created again.  From the command line, do the following:

fmsadmin stop wpe

Remove the "fmi" folder above

fmsadmin start wpe

-----

The other option is to reinstall FileMaker Server 12.v2 directly.  That is, don't reinstall FileMaker Server 12v1 and update.  However, if you use this method, first backup/restore/set any Admin Console settings.

TSGal
                               FileMaker, Inc.