10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2015 12:37 PM by DamianWhite

Cannot download database in FM Pro Server

DamianWhite

All,

I have successfully uploaded a database to FM Pro Server, and have made it available via WebDirect.  However before I make it live to potential users, I'd like to make a copy of the database so as to allow those users to freely explore, and experiment with editing records etc.

Within my Admin Console I've Closed the specific database, but when I then attempt to Download it, I get the following error:

Capture.PNG

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers,

Damian.

• 1. Re: Cannot download database in FM Pro Server
          steveromig

It is hard to tell from your screenshot - but what is the name of the file you are trying to download?  Does it have any weird characters in it - including any extra "." in the filename other than the one between the filename itself and the file extension?  If so, try renaming it to something a little more standard and see if that helps.

Also, make sure your pop-up blocker on your browser is disabled.

You can always grab a copy of your closed file directly from your hard drive.  By default, files uploaded to FileMaker Server are stored on the Windows platform here...

[drive]:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Data\Databases\

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Cannot download database in FM Pro Server
            DavidZakary

How big is the database? I recall there being an issue with files over 2 gb not downloading.

• 3. Re: Cannot download database in FM Pro Server
              DamianWhite

Thanks for the feedback.  It's a little under 1GB, so hopefully that shouldn't be an issue ...

• 4. Re: Cannot download database in FM Pro Server
                DamianWhite

Hi Steve,

Thanks for this feedback.  I'm having trouble accessing the server's hard drive directly, but am talking to my IT department about this as I will need access in the long term.  I've tried running Admin Console in both Firefox and Chrome, with pop-up blockers disabled, with no joy.

My database does have the hashtag symbol in it's name however, so this could be causing some problems.  So ... er, how might I edit my database name while not having access to the file on hard drive?  I can't seem to see how from withing FM Pro itself, or within the Admin Console ...

• 5. Re: Cannot download database in FM Pro Server
                  karenu_fm

Worked fine for me! Check again to make sure your Web Server is turned on. It's under Status category on the left panel.

• 6. Re: Cannot download database in FM Pro Server
                    Fred(CH)

My database does have the hashtag symbol in it's name however, so this could be causing some problems.  So ... er, how might I edit my database name while not having access to the file on hard drive?  I can't seem to see how from withing FM Pro itself, or within the Admin Console ...

Yes # it is clearly the issue here

Since you cannot download it, the only way to rename a database file is to close it (cf Steve explanation) and reach it at the database folder (cf Steve explanation). And then, renaming the file.

Before doing that, you have to check if other database files are using this database as External Data Source. If so, they also have to be updated too in Menu File > Manage External Data Source.

And be mindful that there might be other broken things based upon the name of your database, like "launcher files" or Open Recent dialog  etc....

• 7. Re: Cannot download database in FM Pro Server
                      user19752

This is a bug of admin console.

I could show the error using FMS14v2, and change the # in the URL of error page to %23 make download continued.

• 8. Re: Cannot download database in FM Pro Server
                        Markus Schneider

If You have FM Advanced, You can rename the whole solution using the Adv'-functonality. It will rename the files and update the sources - but not the window names (activate window, etc.)

It's always a good practice to use only standard ASCII for core objects (FileNames, Table, Field, etc)

You can also use the files from the FMS backup folder, they can be _copied_ to another volume, etc. Make also sure that there are no popup blockers active in Your browser..

• 9. Re: Cannot download database in FM Pro Server
                          TSPigeon

DamianWhite:

Thank you for your post.

You are able to get a local version of the database by copying a backup from FileMaker Server/Data/Backups.

You can also get a local version by following these steps:

1. Navigate to the Activity Pane in the Admin Console

2. Select the file you need

3. Click the Folder Icon in the top right

4. Select "Close"

5. From the same menu, select "Download Database"

If the download doesn't begin automatically, you do want to verify the Pop-Up Blocker is disabled for your Web Browser.

I hope this information is of use.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Cannot download database in FM Pro Server
                            DamianWhite

Thanks to everyone for the valuable feedback.

In the end, I simply tried user 19752's trick to change the '#' in my download filepath to '%23', and it worked. 

I'm still following up with our IT department to get me access to file storage directly on our server's hard drive, and in the future, I'll leave hashtags out of database filenames.

Thanks again,

Damian.