7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2015 11:23 PM by Markus Schneider

Convert trial version for Standalone to Server Edition

rsjbarker

I've created a test database with about 60 records using the Trial version for a standalone computer which I'm quite happy with.

Now I would like to download purchase the Server edition of the software. How would I rebuild this db in the Server edition? Is it a big job?

I'm running MS Exchange Server 2010 with 5 client computers that will need to access the DB.

I look forward to any responses.

• 1. Re: Convert trial version for Standalone to Server Edition
          mark_scott

Hello rsjbarker,

Generally a standalone FMPro database can be uploaded to FileMaker Server (FMS) and hosted from there with relatively little modification.  There are some considerations relating to preventing record locking issues (particularly in scripts that may try to modify records opened by other users, etc.), and you'll almost certainly want to set up your security (Privilege Sets and Accounts) carefully.

But I wonder if you've got a misunderstanding of how FMS works.  It has nothing to do with MS Exchange Server and in fact you really don't want your FMS installation on a shared drive of any sort.  You'll want a dedicated machine, with fairly decent specs, on which to install FMS and host your database, then each of those 5 client computers will need a licensed copy of FMPro (unless you want to use FileMaker's WebDirect technology to access the db via a browser).  There are extensive user guides and white papers at the FileMaker web site that should get you up and running with FMS.

If you run into problems or have further questions, chime back in here.  I may not be the one to help trouble-shoot, as FMS has run so flawlessly for me that I never got much "trouble-shooting" experience.  Hopefully your experience will be the same.  But there are a lot of experts here.

hth,

Mark

• 2. Re: Convert trial version for Standalone to Server Edition
            Markus Schneider

Yes- in any way: You will need a FileMaker Pro or Pro Advanced for working/developing on the databases. The server just 'serves' the files, does backups while users are working, can do some jobs (run script on server) and more - but one can't work on a db with the server alone (end-users can access the server via web, iOS - but that requieres 'connection packs', as long as there is no access via custom web publishing)

• 3. Re: Convert trial version for Standalone to Server Edition
              rsjbarker

Hi and thanks for the replies,

I'll investigate and take them all on board.

Warm regards,

R

• 4. Re: Convert trial version for Standalone to Server Edition
                rsjbarker

Ok, I've looked a little further into this and I'm beginning to wonder with such a small number of clients/users on the DB (max 5) if I really need a server edition. The DB itself will grow with many more records but I doubt the users will eaver likely reach more than 10 maximum. Perhaps I could use a cloud-based solution and something that doesn't require installation of a whole new layer of hardware?

Do you think it's possible?

• 5. Re: Convert trial version for Standalone to Server Edition
                  mark_scott

By "cloud-based," do I read you to mean using a dedicated FileMaker-hosting service to host your db on their hardware?  That can be a good idea and obviate the need to purchase and maintain your own server hardware.  There are a number of such services, most of which charge by the month.  Others here will be more familiar with the specific options and may be able to make recommendations for (of against) a particular vendor. 

Mind you, a solution hosted over the WAN must be designed with that in mind, as the data will be moving farther than in a solution hosted in-house, else you may find an unacceptable performance degradation.  FileMaker tends to move a lot of data back and forth between server and client.  There are plenty of resources around that can help you with learning the considerations involved in designing a solution for performant hosting over the WAN.

hth,

Mark

• 6. Re: Convert trial version for Standalone to Server Edition
                    rsjbarker

Hi, I have a few weeks to make a final decision on this.

I'm in a dilemma as to what to do.

Our company's hardware is old, unreliable and in urgent need of an upgrade. Without a budget this hardware upgrade may take some time. In the meantime, we urgently need to organise our critical docs into an easy-to-use simple DB like this, which I'm working through on this trial version.

Does the purchase of the licence recognise the user or the hardware. I'm wondering if I purchased a Single User Licence, can it be used on a different device? If so I could setup files on a client computer then add a subscription that user? I guess I'm asking how flexible it is.

• 7. Re: Convert trial version for Standalone to Server Edition
                      Markus Schneider

Not sure if I got this right: A licence is not bound to a hardware. You can install it on whatever computer You want - as long as it meets the requirements. BUT: One licence - One computer... You can't use one licence at the same time on different computers (check the licence agreements)

If You have one FileMaker Pro licence and You get a new computer: No problem, no deactivating required (as long as You are not running FileMaker 9)