6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2015 4:08 AM by wimdecorte

Does Filemaker Pro use its own cache?

hadleigh

Hi Guys

When using Filemaker Pro does it use its own cache, or does it use the cache on Filemaker Server?

Cheers

Hadleigh

• 1. Re: Does Filemaker Pro use its own cache?
          wimdecorte

FMP has its own cache, but the client/server connection obviously also takes advantage of the FMS cache.

What's the underlying question?

• 2. Re: Does Filemaker Pro use its own cache?
            schamblee

I had to make a comment.   No FM uses your cash.

• 3. Re: Does Filemaker Pro use its own cache?
              Markus Schneider

since FM is running on a local machine, it's using its own cache - on the local machine. (Wim is right - server cache is part of the game)

• 4. Re: Does Filemaker Pro use its own cache?
                hadleigh

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses so far.

The reason for the question is that i was considering how the cache on server would be affected when there are lots of users connected at the same time, for example if one user is connected and each layout initially takes a long time to load, then once they are loaded into the cache that user can then navigate the solution quickly, however if there were lots of users connected at the same time then the cache would soon become full and overwrite itself in which case the layouts would still be taking a long time to load.

I assume that if connections using FM Pro use a cache on the local machine that the number of uses connected at the same time shouldn't effect the 'speed' of the solution.

I hope that makes sense

• 5. Re: Does Filemaker Pro use its own cache?
                  rrrichie

Make the first layout so it does not take so long to load :-)

There is a nice whitepaper on FileMaker Performance...

Design: Performance

I have + 2Gigabyte database, still first loading is within seconds :-)

• 6. Re: Does Filemaker Pro use its own cache?
                    wimdecorte

hadleigh wrote:

I assume that if connections using FM Pro use a cache on the local machine that the number of uses connected at the same time shouldn't effect the 'speed' of the solution.

There are a lot more variables that determine the performance of your solution than the cache.  In fact, the cache is probably going to be the least of your worries.  FMS has a counter to help determine a good server-side cache: in the FMS stats you should be able to maintain a consistent 100% cache hit.   Make sure to turn on the FMS Usage Stats log under "Logging"; it's off by default.

The client cache setting is set to 128MB by default and you can increase that to meet your needs, but some of the other things that will affect how your solutions speed:

- processing power on the client; underpowered machine are going to make for poor user experience

- free disk space on the client; if disk space is running low, FMP will have to make a lot more round trips to the server to populate its cache

- processing power on the server: as the user load increases, the server will have to do more work, not enough processing power here will drag all the clients down

- disk i/o speed on the server: slow or full disks will make everything slower (from writing to / reading from cache<->hard disk, backups,...)

- network throughput (server, client, switches in-between), WAN acces,...