6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2015 1:22 PM by rtolliver

Import Records: some field data did not match

rtolliver

I have tried to import data from both Excel and FileMaker files with the same results.  The imported record data does not match or is offset by 2-3 records.

The purpose of this data import (second try) is to update the table with data that didn't import during the table creation, the table records have 20 fields and of the 20 fields, 6 did not import.

• 1. Re: Import Records: some field data did not match
          steveromig

Ricardo Tolliver wrote:

I have tried to import data from both Excel and FileMaker files with the same results.  The imported record data does not match or is offset by 2-3 records.

The purpose of this data import (second try) is to update the table with data that didn't import during the table creation, the table records have 20 fields and of the 20 fields, 6 did not import.

Ricardo -

You will need to verify that there is an "arrow" symbol displaying between the source field and the target field in the Import dialog box or FileMaker Pro will not import the data into that field.

Also, I'd confirm you are not trying to import into a calculation or a summary field

Finally, it could have something to do with your source data as well.  Can you see the data you want to import when you are in the import dialog box and scrolling records?  If you can't then there is no way that FileMaker will be able to import that data.  It could have something to do with the formatting of the data you are trying to import from - although if it is from a FileMaker Pro file that is probably not what is going on.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Import Records: some field data did not match
            Fred(CH)

We may need one or two additional info to answer.

Do you want to add 6 records to an existing table ?

Or import 6 additional fields to existing records ?

In your table, do you have a unique primary key to identify reliably each records (as a serial number) ?

Have some field a calculation formula defined (auto-enter) ?

• 3. Re: Import Records: some field data did not match
              rtolliver

There are no calculation or summary selected and I have verified the "arrow" symbol for every import attempt.  I only select 6 fields with the "arrow" symbol, the remaining fields have ".." Don't import this field.

I do see data when scrolling through the import dialog box and I have tried to import this data from 2 different file types, (Excel and FileMaker Pro)

• 4. Re: Import Records: some field data did not match
                rtolliver

I am attempting to update existing (778) records with the field data that did not get imported during the initial import (table creation).  While all 778 records imported, each record is missing the data from the same 6 fields.

Each record has a unique field to identify it and is not a calculation formula.

• 5. Re: Import Records: some field data did not match
                  Fred(CH)

Well...

You have to :

1. Show all records in the FileMaker database
                  2. In the importation define field dialog, indicate the Import action to "Update matching record in found set"
                  3. Set a double arrow (the matching field) to the unique field (it must also exist in the Excel file)
                  4. Set a single arrow to the new fields (the new data to import)

As illustrated in the screenshot below, where 1 have one new field whereas you have six new field :Capture d’écran 2015-08-27 à 20.46.31.png

• 6. Re: Import Records: some field data did not match
                    rtolliver

Having the correct criteria for the import did it.

Thanks